My RP91 doesn't scale non anamorphic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy_M, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Ok, I just bought a new RP91, and have a Toshiba 50H81 HDTV. I put the player into progressive and set the 4:3 mode to Auto.

I leave my TV in Full mode - 4:3 discs are shown properly with black bars at the sides (replacing the light gray ones the TV set would provide).

I thought non-anamorphic wide screen would be stretched by the player to fill the screen width-wise with this setup, but it doesn't for me - it just sticks the letterbox picture inside a 4:3 rectangle retaining the black bars on the sides. There seems to be no difference between the Auto and Shrink settings in the 4:3 menu.

Tried several non-anamorphic wide screen discs including Charade-Criterion, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), and several others.

Am I doing something wrong, or is my conception of what it's supposed to do incorrect? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

I'm not sure exactly how to do it...but you must go into the menu and manually zoom the 4:3 lb non-a picture to scaled 16x9. If the disc isn't flagged then the Panny 91 won't do the zoom automatically...must do manually. Perhaps someone here with more experience with the player will direct you better than I can. But, just to reaasure you, I have seen it done and the 91 definitely will do the 16x9 scaling.

Eric.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Randy,

I have found that a little less than half of the non-anamorphic widescreen discs in my collection are not properly flagged. For such discs, go to the U4 menu and change the 4:3 aspect control from AUTO to ZOOM. After you are finished with the disc, set it back to AUTO. For discs that are flagged properly, the AUTO setting will perform the scaling/zoom just fine.

I believe that Planet Of The Apes (the original) and The Abyss are flagged properly. Try these to make sure your player is zoom/scaling properly.

This is not the player's fault. It is the fault of the disc manufacturers who continually fail to properly flag their material.

4. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

Can somebody explain to me what is scaling and what is zooming. Will it adjust the sapect ratio of the TV??

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Randy M,

I'm not sure about the problem with the RP91, but I have a question for you. How do you like the Toshiba 50H81? I am thinking about getting one. What's your impressions of the set?

6. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Greg_t

I am totally happy with the Toshiba.

I moved from a 32 inch Sony Vega direct view, and I was a little alarmed at first that my cable looked worse on the new set, until I realized that making the picture bigger just amplified the flaws that were always there.

DVD's look spectacular (nothin like a widescreen set)

I'm sure there are better machines out there, but you'll pay more for them. I got mine at Best Buy last Sept for $2250 with a 10% coupon. Sure, the Pioneer Elite is better, but it costs four grand.

So, for the price, I don't think you can do much better than the 50H81...at work, we have started an "81 club" as there must be half a dozen new Tosh owners.

If you buy one, let me know how you like it.

Cheers

7. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Well, it seems I have a lot of poorly flagged discs...I tried The Abyss and Vertigo and they scaled just fine.
    Sure makes you wish for anamorphic re-releases, though...

8. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Randy,

Thanks for the input.

Greg

9. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Here's another one that I believe is improperly flagged: Mission Impossible (1).

-David