What's new

My Rotel 1095 hums/buzzes but its not the amps fault. (1 Viewer)

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchaced the Rotel 1095 amp to pair with my Denon 3801 as a pre amp. Well now my speakers buzz & hiss and the Rotel has a low level hum when I put my ear to it. OK fine, I plug into another outlet in another room and the speaker noise is gone but the amp hum is still there. OK I move the amp to yet another room and the amp hum is gone and so is the speaker buzz! I have concluded that my house wiring is the culprit but why? This really has me stumped because when doing the tests in other rooms, the only thing connected to the amp was one speaker so its not noise comming from other components. Also I have unplugged all household appliances when doing the test. The main service panel neutral goes back to the street and is also connected securely to my copper water main.

Any experience with this kind of problem would be appreciated.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
I taped up the ground pin on the amp's cord (same as a cheater or ground lift adapter) but that didn't work. Also the amp's location is close to my main breaker panel which may be inducing stray current in to the amp. I unplugged all my other equipment from the amp so I don't think its the same problem as Legairre. It is definitely noise comming from certain outlets in my house. I am going to run a dedicated circuit from the spare breaker in my service panel. I am not sure if this will solve the problem.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I've read a number of posts about this type of problem and it usually comes down to stray electrical noise or a ground loop. The noise/dirty power problem is typically solved by a power conditioner and the ground loop by a cheater plug. The plug is only a temporary solution though.

I think that stand alone amps are more revealing of underlying electrical noise in a house's power system and that might be why you're now finding problems with hum and buzz in your AV equipment.

When I purchase my 1075 it will be accompanied by a power conditioner just in case I have similar noise problems. At the very least I'll have a good surge suppressor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks