My Rotel 1095 amp has some hiss\buzz with preamp off..normal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Feb 10, 2002.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Is a low hiss/buzz normal from my Rotel 1095? The preamp is off.Any owners of this amp have this also? Thanks

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

David, is the hiss coming from the speakers are the amp itself..If from your speakers, it is probably a ground loop problem. I have a sherwood and mccormack that had hiss from my speakers. I know in my case what it is caused by, my sorry cable t.v. Some amps are more sensitive to grounding issues then others, because Iv had other amps on the same outlet with no hiss. I bought a 2 dollar 3 prong to 2 adapter and all hiss is gone, but some people will advise you not to use these. Also check that your cables are apart from your power cord etc.

If coming from amp itself, could be a normal transformer hum, but I will let others that have the rotel amp answer.

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Though I don't have the 1095, I do have the 1066 and with the volume set to max I hear nothing. I would suggest you unhook everything going to the amp other than the speakers and see what happens. Unhook what ever shares the same power socket and see what happens. Then start connecting everything one at a time to see when the hiss returns.

Kevin

4. David Barteaux

Kevin,

The hiss is from all five speakers. This with the preamp off and all 5 RCA cables unplugged from the amp. It is just the amp and speakers connected. There is no sound from the amp chassis.

5. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

David, I would suggest if you have cable tv unhooking it, see if the hum goes away. Also Im almost sure you could get that two dollar 3 to 2 prong adapter at rat shack and this would solve it,,

6. David Barteaux

I must stress again. The sytem is completely isolated. No cable, no preamp, nothing is connected except the speakers. I have also tried the ground lift cheater plug.

The hiss in the tweeter and slight hum in the midrange drivers is still there. Is it normal for a high power amp to have this?

7. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

David,

My 1095 makes the same hiss. It's not the dreaded ground loop hum. I beat the crap out of that a long time ago. I have mine hooked up using the 12v trigger switch on the back. The hiss is so faint that it can only be heard with my ear next to the speaker. it's actually the amp itself. From what I've read this is normal of some amps, but mine is so faint you don't even know it's there unless you go down to the speaker and listen for it. I also have 4 powered subs and each one of them has hiss or buzz that you only notice if you put your ear down next to them. I guess some amps even sub amps make noise.