What's new

My roommate has never known about the Matrix movies until now (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
He knows about World War 1 and 2 right?

That man has walked on the moon?

That the Chinese invented Chinese food?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Think thats bad? I was watching the episodes of my South Park, the complete second season the other week. I was watching the Chef Aid episode (where Chef is sued by the music industry because he wrote a song 20 years before they did). During the trial the prosecution unveils the "Chewbacca Defense".

My Girlfriend: Whats Chewbacca?

Me: Chewbacca the wookie

GF: Huh?

Me: From Star Wars

GF: I haven't seen Star Wars

Me:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
(Thats it, no dialouge, just me sitting there, mouth agap, starring at her).

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's not the fact that he hasn't seen the movies that ruffled my feathers, but the fact that he hadn't even HEARD about them until yesterday. I know that some of my friends haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies, and that sits fine with me. However, if they had no idea of their existance, that's a completely different story. He has a computer and he has a TV. He watches soaps, trash TV (Jerry Springer, Maury, and the like), and wrestling (he was pissed that the university isn't carrying TNN/Spike TV anymore on the cable lineup, they switched from DirecTV to Dish during the summer). Did TNN not show one Matrix Reloaded ad during the campaign? I find that hard to believe, since the channel is geared more towards men.

So Thomas, did your roomie liked the movie or not?
I just flipped to a few scenes. He asked the question when I was watching the sparring program scene.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
He's seen Freddy vs. Jason and all the other Freddy and Jason movies.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
isn't it illegal to be that ignorant about popular culture?
i will certainly concede that not even knowing about the matrix is quite extreme...but so what?

i'm sure there are tons of things i don't know about that seem like common knowledge to other people. what gets me if when people look at you like you're a simpleton, just because you don't know about some topic....or you're late to the party.

okay, i'm off my soapbox now. :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, for what it's worth, I've only seen The Matrix once, on DVD. Of course, how can I not have heard about it?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yep, perfect example holadem.

even though it had been posted several times before, i never saw it...and i cruise around here more then i probably should!

so, i post it and everyone jumps on me. (well, it really wasn't that bad.) anyway...there was one or two other posters who said, "hey neat...i hadn't seen that before."

so, did the thread serve it's purpose? i guess so. did it really hurt anyone that it was posted again? who knows.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I find it pretty surprising that he hadn't heard of it. Not surprised he hasn't necessarily seen it. I'm with Jack, I certainly know it exists. I rented it on DVD once, thought it was boring and fell asleep. I've heard it gets much better so someday I may get around to renting it again...or not.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
If it didn't grab you from the begining where all the intrigue is, it never will - after that, it's just an awesome action flick, copied ad nauseum. I think it's safe to say that you will not like it.

--
H

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, what's a Chewbacca defense???

As for the Matrix, I have it and love it... but, and this is a big one, I have not seen Reloaded. I knew that it would get ruined by the rest of the idiots watching it with me.

So, I have decided to wait until I get 2 & 3 on DVD, and then sit down and watch all three of them back to back.

Swear.

Glenn

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Well I never even knew about the Matrix when it came out to theaters, and even when it was released to DVD. It wasn't until about a year after it's release that I was at a friends house, and he popped the movie in. Still, I didn't pay much attention to it.

About a year later, I was walking around BBuster, and saw it, decided to rent it, and thus began my love for the Matrix. I was quite surprised that this movie was released and i didn't know.

Since then, I've purchased the DVD of Matrix, the Animatrix, and have seen Reloaded twice in theaters - once in normal (pfft), once in IMAX (Amazing)...

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I myself, have NEVER seen the Starwars trilogy. I found the first & second episodes to be extremely boring, and I'm afraid to be bored by the original trilogy.

I also have NEVER seen any Indiana Jones movies. And to top it off, I have not seen Godfather 2 & 3 (but I have seen the original).

I don't find it TOO strange that someone has not seen or heard about the Matrix. I had an aunt who's a housewife, but doesn't watch TV at all, and she had never heard of the Matrix either until I told her about it. She was bored by the concept, and changed the subject.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Well, my take on this isn't as bad, but before getting married I dated a girl who had never seen ANY of the Star Wars or Indiana Jones films. I nearly stopped dead of a heart attack. How could anyone in my generation NOT have grown up with those? She knew about them, and occasionally used pop culture refrences to them, but only vaguely knew what they wwere about.
That reminds me of when a friend of mine that I'd known since I was a kid revealing a couple of years ago that he'd never seen Star Wars. We were all shocked because it just seemed inconceivable that someone had never even seen a part of those movies but when we thought about it it kind of made sense. The guy's a musician and doesn't really have any use for movies. He often gets bored while watching them and then he'll just go to get his guitar and play that for a few hours instead. There are probably many other classic movies he's never seen.

Of course, right after he said he hadn't seen Star Wars, we got the VHS tape out and watched it, and he actually liked it a lot, especially anything involving Darth Vader abusing his officers :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I had an aunt who's a housewife, but doesn't watch TV at all, and she had never heard of the Matrix either
But how old is she? ThomasC's profile says he goes to a university and he mentions a roomate, so I can assume that this guy is in his early 20's? How many 20-25 year old men don't know about the Matrix? :eek:

I can see an older housewife not knowing about it, but a young guy????

And again, you may have not seen Star Wars or Indiana Jones, but you know they exist.

Users who are viewing this thread