My RF3s go lower than my servo 15? I dont understand.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, Sep 30, 2001.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I was running frequency sweeps and the cone of the servo 15 stopped vibrating long before the cones of the RF3 stopped moving. Why is this happening? I hope that the sub isnt cutting out those lower frequencies, because if it is, im not happy with that.
    I would say Im running from 50hz down to 0hz and the servo seems to be stopping around 10hz and the RF3 is going down to 0hz (or 1hz if u wanna be anal).
    Aaron
    [Edited last by AaronNWilson on September 30, 2001 at 05:19 PM]

2. John H

John H Second Unit

3. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

You can download any frequency sweep you want off the internet and burn the to a CD R. I just play them straight from my computers spdif output into my recievers digital coaxial input.
    Aaron

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

A subsonic filter is likely. Also, do you feel anything below 10 hz? Cause I highly doubt you'd hear anything, thats for sure. Unless you have unlimited power behind those speakers, I can't imagine feeling anything like 5hz! If you can't hear or feel anything, then its not so important, because if you compare the speakers, the Servo 15 is still doing its job, reproducing from 16 to 100 hz or so. The Servo 15 has higher output capabilites than your other speakers between 16 and 100 hz, right?
    Also, on the subject of filters. Do you know for sure what frequency is being reproduced by the speakers? I mean, it could be a distortion harmonic, right? Unless you have a frequency analyzer, can you be sure what frequency the driver is moving at?
    Anyways, just some things to think about. I myself was impressed with the output of my speakers when I used test tones. My Boston Acoustics were rated to 45 hz at -3 dB and I always felt (no pun intended) that in room they must have useable output just below 40 hz. When I tested them with a tone generator, I shocked to find myself able to drive the speakers down to 27hz! I could barely hear 28 hz, and surely, I must have not being doing any good to the speakers, but needless to say, it was an interesting test. I had expected the speakers to taper right off and be almost inaudible at 35 hz. Again though, I am not positive that the speakers were not reproducing a distortion like a harmonic or semi-harmonic. It sounded like they were truely reproducing low frequencies though.
    What I would suggest, is to listen to some music or movies with and without your Servo 15 and let that add to your test of the low bass of your speakers and sub.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 30, 2001 at 07:45 PM]

6. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Yeah I don't doubt for a second that the servo has more SPL from 16hz to 100hz but I didn't know that the sub would have a subsonic filter that would prevent the cone from going to the lowest of the low.
    If you wanna test your speakers/sub out download Bjork - Hyperballad and your whole house will be shaking. It nots a thump thump sound, but continious smooth bass that extends pretty darn low.
    Aaron

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. I'll definitely check that track out.

8. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't the word "servo" in the name imply some kind of limiting?

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Aaron, while your speakers may be vibrating at [insert frequency below specs], whether or not they are producing that frequency is a whole other story.
    Whatever is coming out is probably so distorted it bears little resemblence to the original signal [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem - and let's not even talk about dBs...