1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

My Review on The Son DVP-NC555ES

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kage, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

About a week ago I recieved the Sony DVP-NC555ES from Crutchfield.com for $539.99 brand new. So here is my review comparing to the Denon DVD-1600. Also in this review I will refer to the Dec. 2003 DVD Player BenchMark by Hometheaterhifi.com. This review is done on a Sony 36 inch calibrated HDTV and a Yamaha 5.1 Surround Sound System.

Picture Quality (Progressive Scan)
    The DVP-NC555ES has superb picture quality, it is sharp, but yet filmlike, NO CHORMA BUG!!!!, and it even excells the DVD-1600 in picture quality. The DVP-NC555ES has more of a 3D picture, colors are striking. According to the DVD Player Benchmark, they said that the DVP-NC555ES has some solid colors that flicker, I don't see color flicker with this dvd player.

Build Quality
    The DVP-NC555ES is built like a tank and weighs approx. 18 lbs.

DeInterlacer
    Sony uses their own deinterlacer method called "Pixel by Pixel". According to the benchmark, Sony updated their deinterlcer and passed the Faroudja test signals and they said that the DVP-NC555ES might have form of it.

Sound Quality
    I have not yet tested the 5.1 analog sound. The DVP-NC555ES sound quality is better through the TOSLINK connection to my receiver, than the Denon DVD-1600. The Sony's sound is clear, more realistic.

Layer Change
    The layer change on the DVP-NC555ES is around 4 seconds and it's very noticeable, the Denon DVD-1600 is less than 2 seconds.

Final Score
    I give the Denon DVD-1600 a 3.5/5 and the Sony DVP-NC555ES a 4/5.

Warranty
    The Sony DVP-NC555ES as a 5 year warranty, so that I am covered for the next 5 years.

After Thoughts
    I like the Sony DVP-NC555ES a lot better than the Denon-1600. I could live with the layer change on the Sony, because the pq is just gorgeous.
    In my honest opinion, I do not agree with the score that the DVD Benchmark give the Sony DVP-NC555ES, I think the score should be in the low 80's. I just sold my Denon DVD-1600 a few days ago, because I enjoy the DVP-NC555ES a lot more.

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I was considering one of these..
    But saying it has a better picture than the 1600 will force me to. [​IMG] What kind of display are you using and what displays and previous DVD player have you owned?

Thanks

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

4. Kage

Kage Stunt Coordinator

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

If they only had DVD-A decoding I'd be all over this! (since I'm assuming that Sonys don't do DSD->PCM conversion for SACD)

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer