What's new

My review of the JBL S312 II s (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I have been going to the High Efficiency speaker forum once in awhile for the last year or so.

It seems most of the guys are designing their own stuff, going ultra cheap or ultra expensive.

If you really want to experiment with horns, I would strongly recommend getting a good tube amp, or even the DIY class A SS amp that someone mentioned in the other thread. You're really not doing justice to horns unless you drive them the way they were meant to be driven.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I will consider this for sure, whatever the amp is I like gobs of headroom so its going to have to be big.

I would like to say one more thing, like I said I bought these at Best Buy's cost of $404+tx a pair.

I take back what I said about not having a use for these speakers.

I am not going to let them go at my cost, if I don't get what I want for them I will keep them and try one more time.

I have been powering them with my receiver up until this point, if they do not sell soon I will take them back out of their boxes and attempt to forceably break them in, drag out my QSC USA 900 amp which puts out a conservative 275x2 and run these speakers hard for a long, long time and see if anything has changed.

Also Saurav and others suggest tubes or a class A amp for horn speakers, I am curious how the S312s would sound with a tube amp.

The one thing I will miss on these things is their very good detail, every little thing recorded is pushed right out in the open for inspection.

On a few jazz CDs the S312s brought to my attention a few small details that I had not noticed with the Kit281s.

I re-read this thread and I may have been a little harsh on the S312s .... it was all brewed from the real hearing ache that they gave me over the weekend listening at moderate to high volumes(at times).

I got so mad that I boxed them up put them on Ebay and wrote this thread.

Hey if they don't sell I have an idea! Maybe I could cut a small hole in the speaker boxes where the binding posts are , hook up the big amp and run them for several days.

I could trim the bass out completly because the bass does'nt need alot of work , really I could run them for weeks like this at high volumes and I doubt it would bother me much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks