What's new

My review of "Machete Kills" (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
Well ... that was interesting. Machete Kills is probably the most insane film that Robert Rodriguez has ever made, because it's so ridiculously over the top. It has a much lighter tone than the first film because of this, and also because Rodriguez throws in so many references to other films. Enjoyable, but only if you're willing to throw all logic out the window!

Here's my review.

And here's an excerpt from it:
Machete Kills certainly has no shortage of outlandish characters, but there's one in particular who brings to mind director Robert Rodriguez's characteristics as a filmmaker. The character in question has multiple personalities, becoming a ruthless psychopath one minute and a patriotic freedom fighter the next. As they say in the film, "You never know which one you're going to get." Likewise, when it comes to his movies, Rodriguez is of two minds: There's the (relatively) serious director that brought us El Mariachi, Sin City and Predators; and then there's the director responsible for cartoonish fare like the Spy Kids series and The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. The two sides have crossed paths before (in From Dusk Till Dawn, Machete and Planet Terror), but Machete Kills takes things to a whole new level.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
OMG, Robert Rodriguez should have directed Kick-Ass 2 with this grindhouse movie style, it would have totally worked. "Machete Kills" is a decent genre flick (super-tough title character, ridiculously hard to kill in spite of all the gunfire and hand-to-hand combat, and knife fights he goes through in the movie), with plenty of hot women, and some scenery-chewing villain(s?), and even Carlos Esteves thrown in as the president. Danny Trejo just rolls with all the punches and probably can't believe his luck starring in movies like this.

So, if you're in the mood for such a genre flick, catch it at matinee prices. It does feel a little long in its pacing, though.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Hopefully Machete will go after the American public for not going to see his movie. I'm sorry but I MUST have the sequel to this thing. :D

The movie wasn't nearly as good as the first film but I still enjoyed it. I thought the cast was great, although for some reason Gibson played it way too "calm" for some reason. He's a genius at that crazy, over-the-top style which is what this movie is so I'm surprised the director didn't let him go all out. I thought the action scenes were highly entertaining and especially the tag team between Machete and the helicopter. The only problem is that the film ran way too long.

Still, a fun *** movie.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Shocking, Amber Heard and no nudity? What was up with that?

Sofia...we all wish...

Jessica Alba...well you know she'll never be in a movie with nudity in it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks