My Review of Hitachi 51s500

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SandeepS, Oct 20, 2003.

1. SandeepS

SandeepS Extra

First off, I'm not a hardcore electronics whiz….just your regular guy who luvs to sit down with a can of beer and enjoy Sunday football and watch some DVD's with some occasional cable programs as well.

After moving into my first house, both me and the wife decided to finally upgrade our 27"RCA TV with a 'big-screen'. After much researching and tons of visits to my local Sears and Ccity, I decided to go for the Sony 51"510 series (one with the 'fixed' flickering prob), mainly for the decent price and 'Sony' quality.

It got delivered and I did the basics……down with contrast and brightness and did the auto convergence after 30 mins. Hooked up my VCR and DVD player as at this stage, I haven't bought a home theater system yet.

Immediate problems I had with the set was the major 'reflection' issue. Even though I had the curtains drawn, there was a lot of reflection on the TV and I don't wanna take the anti-glare shield off cos of my naughty 15-month old daughter who likes to toy with smooth surfaces. While DVD's look great, the cable picture wasn't so clear either even though Sony supposedly uses a DRC technology which is supposed to beef up standard signal. Watching football games wasn't that good as picture appeared a lot grainy and some ghosting was apparent too. After having the TV for 4 days, we decided to return the set for something else.

Went back to my local Sears again and then came across the new Hitachi S500 series on display (this wasn't on display the last time I visited) and the first thing I noticed was the clearer picture quality compared to the other surrounding sets (Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic). I think its almost as good as the Mitsubishi's (only they don't support 720p AND I need that for my Xbox). Now the price of this set was slightly higher but after talking down the manager, he agreed for the price of $2100 out the door, with 2 yr in-house warranty and a free digital camera!

The new TV got delivered on Saturday morning and even out of the box, the Hitachi had better picture quality compared to the previous set. I did my basic calibrations again and I was impressed with cable broadcasts as the grainyness was minimized and colors appeared more vibrant than the Sony….only the reds appear more brighter for some reason. The next best thing I like about the new set is the efficient screen-shield which does a fine job of keeping reflections to a minimum. I was also impressed with the sound quality of the Hitachi speakers. Watched 'Matrix Revolutions' on DVD on Saturday night and was blown with the picture quality and sound. Even my wife luvs the new set totally. And lastly, for 4:3 programs, the 'expanded 4:3' mode is awesome. That is the default I've kept for all 4:3 material.

Overall, I'd recommend this set to anyone out there still hunting for a good RPTV.

PS: Does anyone know to do the manual convergence for the 51s500? I tried it accidently and it comes up with a white grid and a flashing cursor which scared the hell outta me so I quickly turned off the TV. But people say the manual convergence is the best so can anyone please post some instructions on how to do it?

2. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

Below is a link to a thread with your answer to the manual convergence... unless of course the my f500 is that different from your s500. I hope it helps.

Manual Convergence for a Hitachi

3. SandeepS

SandeepS Extra

Thx dude[​IMG]