My review of Direct TV and HDTV

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sean Romo, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Sean Romo

Sean Romo Agent

There is a commercial that CBS runs on their OTA HD channel that looks amazing, so I think there is still more they can do with HD. But as I see it now, there are "loop holes" you could say between real HD and upconverted film. Ive read people complain about some movies on HBOHD and I dont think they realize that Who Framed Roger Rabit wasnt filmed with a HD camera (duh) so it is just upconverted and shown in the widescreen original format. So right now the biggest advantage to HD channels is that they are showing in the widescreen format.

I believe Leno is shown in true HD and looks awesome. But some of the other primetime shows only seem to be really clear and widescreen. ??? The HBO HD movies and SHOHD are awesome because it looks better than a DVD (which we already know is better than VHS and cable) The hard selling point I think for non HDphiles is Digital Satellite looks really good (but they have to be stretched, so if you dont have s widescreen ytv ou could be content) Ive seen some digital shows in box form that look real nice but it p****s me off to think of what is going on in the 2" on each side ha ha.
    We watched Princess Diaries in HD and my wife noticed a few things that she hadnt seen on her VHS tape and I think its because (of course) the picture is bigger and clearer.
    In conclusion ... I definately love HBOHD and SHOHD (and am so glad that they are moving them to the HD package, if you havent heard yet it starts in september) and the primetime shows are so cool in widescreen (and clear). Other nonHD shows are still clear (because digital) but I can definately see a loss in detail.[​IMG]

2. Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard Stunt Coordinator

Lee

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I have a question. I was thinking of going with DirecTV. The plan I'm being offered is 2 systems, dish and install for $1. Then 3 months free service. And I was thinking of selecting the 4 movie channels under premuim, for a monthly total of $70.99, (38.99 for Total w/local and 32 for the 4 movie channel packages). Would that, (other than taxes), be all I would pay or is there an additional monthly charge for the second system?

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Sean Romo

Sean Romo Agent

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was shot on film which, unless there's been amazing advances in HD cameras, still has greater "resolution" than HD. The reason it might not look great is that they're not showing a true HD version of it, just a standard definition version. But, it has little to do with how it was shot.

7. Sean Romo

Sean Romo Agent

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Movies in HD don't look as good as programs that are originally shot in HD-Video (like most of the programming on HDNet and Discovery HD) from the standpoint of having the clearest, sharpest picture.

The reason is that HD-video originated stuff has no film grain. The higher resolution of HDTV vs regular tv makes the film grain on movies more evident.

This is not to say that the presence of film grain is a bad thing of course, it's an integral part of the artistic intent of the director and cinematographer and can add a lot to the atmosphere of a movie.

Having watched several films in both HD and on progressive scan dvd, the HD usually looks better but the difference is not as great as the difference between vhs and dvd.

HDTV really reaches it's full potential, imho, for video based material and sports, not presentation of theatrical motion pictures, MOST of the time.

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    You see, I would say the video shot with HD looks brighter, but not necessarily better. Film looks more lifelike to me, even in HD. But, it's a matter of preference.

You also have to be sure that they are broadcasting the movie in HD. The digital channels don't have to broadcast in true 1080i or 720p HD. They can just broadcast in 480p, standard definition. Some movies on HBO-HD are true HD, some only Standard Def.

Now, mind you, the idea that film has higher "resolution" is theoretical as HD cameras and film are two entirely different technologies and not compatible. However, the goal of HD cameras is to be film quality and theoretically film is greater "resolution" than HD cameras.

10. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    According to two DirecTv reps I spoke to yeterday, HBOHD and ShotimeHD will NOT become part of the HD package.

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Considering Sean and Tino's posts, it sounds like the typical big company BS, nobody you talk to really knows what is going to happen, they just give you their view of it!

12. Sean Romo

Sean Romo Agent

I hope there is some true HD filmed content on when I demonstrate the tv, but I do enjoy the grainy look of film every once in a while (as long as it is clear in the case of HBOHD)

13. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I would watch more movies on HBOHD if they didn't crop their 2.35 films.[​IMG]

As it stands, I'll only watch 1.85 films on HBOHD, occasionally checking out the 2.35 ones for a peek.

Thankfully SHOHD doesn't crop...or do they?

14. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

The best HD demo material on DirecTV can be found on Discovery HD and HDNET.

15. Tim Sly

Tim Sly Stunt Coordinator

DirecTv just started offering the HD package on July 3rd at $10.99. I doesn't seem logical that they would add HBO HD and SHO HD after they had just boxed and advertised the package.

16. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Um HBO doesn't crop 2.35 movies, I've got HD through Comcast and just watched 5th element the other day in 2.35:1, sounds like you've got something set wrong or Dish/DTV is cropping it during the recompression for transmission.

17. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Ummm....HBOHD does crop 2.35 films..99% of the time. The Fifth Element is a rare exception. Recent cropped 2.35 film include Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Minority Report, High Crimes, among many, many others.

P.S. You're a Comcast employee and you didn't know this?[​IMG]

18. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I just got my HD service but I've seen quite a few that were uncropped since I've had the service.

19. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Other than The Fifth Element, which 2.35 films have you seen uncropped on HBOHD? I'm curious.

I only know of Monsters Ball and that Monkey movie with Rene Russo as the only others.

As for the reason why HBOHD crops it's film's, HBO says something like it's customers want it that way![​IMG]

20. Sean Romo

Sean Romo Agent

Mission impossible last night was uncropped.

Also, I never watch My Wife and Kids or George Lopez, but last night I watched the whole round of them because they were in HD OTA. Very good showing.