What's new

My replacement of all VHS VCR with SVHS (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after asking a lot of questions here and reading many of the posts from the past, I'm one VCR away from replacing all regular VCR with SVHS.
I now have a JVC 7800 and a JVC 5911
My main use for them is to record from SAT TV. I've asked about how you guys connect your SVHS with all your other equipments. I end up running my SAT receiver S-video out to the SVHS and SVHS out to the TV S-Video in with all the TVs. This eliminate the need for switcher, splitter, additional cables, ect. The down side to that is I have to leave the VCR on to watch TV. I know many of you have mentioned that composite would have been fine. I might switch to that if this become inconvenient (I have to make sure to turn off the VCR when it's on the timer record-IR from SAT receiver).
After many experiments with recordings, here are my conclusion of the quality:
From the best quality to the worst.
SVHS SP > SVHS EP > SVHS ET SP > SVHS ET EP = VHS SP > VHS EP
Now it's really hard to compare the subtle differences just by watching the same recorded movie so I also turn on the direct TV on screen guide so I can see how crisp the letters are and this help tremendously. Here's how the letters appeared on my 43RPTV
True SVHS SP - can't tell the difference from the original
True SVHS EP - Slightly off but still incredible looking
SVHS ET SP - It was difficult to tell the difference in quality from the SVHS EP mode but with the on screen guide on, it's slightly inferior to SVHS ET
SVHS ET EP - words appeared fuzzy
VHS SP - I wasn't sure if it was better or worst than SVHS ET EP. It was different but I can't say it's better or not.
VHS EP - small words are almost unreadable.
Test on smaller TVs are less obviously.
Now I've concluded that because of so many recordings I do daily, I'm going with just regular VHS tapes. I buy TDK ultimate quality from Cosco which cost about 1.47/each and record them in ET (SP) mode and very satisfy with the quality I get. I will use SVHS tapes occasionally to archive movies I really like.
Can't tell the difference in recorded quality between the 5911 and the 7800. However, recorded ET mode on the 7800 can play on the 5911 but recorded ET mode on the 5911 occasionaly have problem playing on the 7800 (same movie same tape is sometime grainy on the 7800 but don't do it all the time). So it's best to have the same SVHS throughout the house. My next purchase will probably be another 7800. I wish I hadn't bought the 5911 just so all the of them would be the same.
So I like to thank all of you for helping clarify some things for me initially.
The down side (yes there's one :)): my family can't stand my place. They can't neither understand how the SAT TV receiver works or why they can't borrow any of my tapes now. I tried to explain to them that when they turn channel, they have to hit the SAT button on the remote first because they're changing the channel on the receiver and not the tv. Now I have to explain to them that make sure the VCR is on to watch TV and you can't borrow any of my tapes :D.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Interesting post, Luc! I have three older JVC S-VHS VCRs, models HR-S7100, 7300 and 7500. I’ve been very happy with all of them.
Nice to see a first-hand comparison of the various recording modes. I’ve never bothered with the ET mode myself; I figured since it used regular VHS tapes it wouldn’t give as good a picture as S-VHS. The whole reason for getting S-VHS to begin with was to get the best possible picture quality, so I’ve always recorded S-VHS tapes on SP.
The down side: my family can't stand my place. They can't neither understand how the SAT TV receiver works or why they can't borrow any of my tapes now.
Here’s an idea: Why not make them a deal on the 5911, since you want another 7800 anyway? :) But first let them borrow it for a while – that way they’ll get used to the picture and they’ll want it. Sly, huh? :D
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
The down side (yes there's one ): my family can't stand my place. They can't neither understand how the SAT TV receiver works or why they can't borrow any of my tapes now. I tried to explain to them that when they turn channel, they have to hit the SAT button on the remote first because they're changing the channel on the receiver and not the tv. Now I have to explain to them that make sure the VCR is on to watch TV and you can't borrow any of my tapes .

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,
let me thank you for all the useful info you provided for me in the past. There were several of you regulars on these SVHS discussion that were very helpful also.
The whole reason for getting S-VHS to begin with was to get the best possible picture quality, so I’ve always recorded S-VHS tapes on SP.
Well, that would be the case for me if I'm recording a movie I really like. On other recordings, ET mode give picture quality that are lightyears away from recordings I've done in the past. Well, maybe not lightyear but really happy with the result :D.
Nevertheless, having the S-VHS, I have the flexibility of making these decisions.
I still have one more to buy of course to complete the transition.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have the 7600 for the HT downstairs and the 3500 connected to the 27 inch t.v. upstairs. The picture quality is great, I have a lot of S-VHS recorded tapes from satellite, and I really enjoy them. I also found that the 7600 has CD quality sound. The hiss on this model is very, very low. Watching S-VHS recorded movies with Logic 7 is really great.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
I also found that the 7600 has CD quality sound. The hiss on this model is very, very low.
Wow. I haven't really pay much attention to the sound because I didn't expect much out of it. What do you mean by hiss. Your comment implies that there are hiss on other models. Can you clarify?

Richard_s

Second Unit
SUPER POST VERY INFORMATIVE
Any of you use the "cable box/DBS timer control" ? Just wondering how well it works?
Do they work with the Motorola DCT2000 (ATT Broadband "digital" cable box) by any chance?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks