My rectuangular box

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary Sedlack, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Gary Sedlack

Gary Sedlack Agent

I will be meeting with the architect in the next week or so to draw up my plans. This will be a ground up add on to my home . I am trying to get it right so if anyone thinks I have missed something please add your opinion. I am open.

The room aprox 22x15x9 interior. Concrete slab with 1" wood floor. Rear seating will be on approx 8" riser, 2x6 walls.

20 amp dedicated ele line for amps, seperate 20 amp line for front end. Lights and general outlets from existing home lines. Wattgate duplexes for amps and ft end.

Pre wiring.
    For 8.1 speakers however will only use 7.1.
    DVI/HDMI
    Sat/Cable
    Firewire
    Cat5
    Phone

So what am I missing?

Thanks Gary

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Looks good, Gary.

The only things I’d suggest:
    • If the lighting is to have dimmers, make sure those circuits are on the opposite electrical phase from the electronics. If this is not possible with the “existing home lines” you are using, I’d run a new circuit. And don’t run 12-3 for the lighting and electronics circuits – the “dirt” from the dimmers will bleed right into your circuit for the electronics.
    • I don’t know what “Wattgate” duplexes are, but if they’re high-priced, save your money. If you want upgraded outlets (never a bad idea) brand-name commercial or industrial-grade outlets are all you need.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Gary Sedlack

Gary Sedlack Agent

Thanks Wayne,

The dimmers will be run from the house ele. not the dedicated A/V lines. The Wattgates are very expensive but I already have three that I picked up at this years CES at an extreme discount. Just for kicks I hooked one into my current family room setting they make more than a subtle difference even with all thc crap on this power line.

Thank you Gary

4. Tim Bargar

Tim Bargar Agent

What is your desire for sound isolation? Do you want to minimize sound/vibration transfer to the rest of the house?

If you want isolation, and since you are at the house design stage, then look into building a room within a room for the HT. The idea is to minimize physical contact with the rest of the house's structure since that is how low frequency is tranfered throughout the house. Then, if your architect can figure this into his design, you'll want a double layer of drywall. This will be important down the line for interior acoustics.