My reciver wont recognize an optical cable.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan-Stone, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Ryan-Stone

Ryan-Stone Stunt Coordinator

I have a kenwood 6050. I have it hooked up to my DVD player with an optical cable. the dvd player is set up for DD and DTS output. when ever i swithch the input mode to digital manual it show coaxil and not optical. And I cant manualy change it. it has to detect the digital signal on its own. There is that red beam that is coming out of the cable. when doing this i am using DD encoded DVDs. Does anyone have a clue of whats wrong. bad cable?

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Do you have a coax dig input connected? is it hot? If so unplug the coax and only use the optical. . .
    Some recievers claim many inputs when in reality thhey only have one, youu may not bbe able to switch back and forth between the two, it may be either/or
    If you arre seeing the "light" your cable is probbalyy OK

3. Ryan-Stone

Ryan-Stone Stunt Coordinator

There isnt any coaxil cable connected. The cable is hooked up to the DVD digital input on the back of the reciver and my DVD players video is hooked up to the DVD input as well. I was thinking the cable might be bad because: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hlight=optical

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I had a bad end on a optical caable once and caused problems, if you have another try it. You can get a cheap one ( $10) to try. They will break and it is wise to avoid sharpp turns. I thinkk you said your player wassset to digital output. . .(hate this keyboard)

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

you did remove the little plastic 'condoms' on the ends, yes?

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

My Kenwood VR-407 reciever (Part of a reciever, sat., & subwoofer package) also did not recognise an optical cable for the "DVD" input on the back. I didn't have a digital coaxial cable, or even a spare regular cable to hook it up with, so I just plug the DVD player into video-3.