My receiver stinks (literally)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scotty_McW, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Well, a week ago I heard a loud "pop". I have a Sony STR-DE835. I opened it up and the fuses were blown. Yesterday, I got some new fuses, put them in, and pressed the power button. There was a crackle and pop, for lack of better terms, and it started to smell. It flashes "protector" in the display now. Any thoughts? Is it totally dead or should I try to take it in and have it fixed? It's only 3 years old and I don't really want to buy something new. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Haul it in to the Sony repair joint on Excelsior Blvd in St Louis Park. At least get a quote.

They did a good job on my rec. when it dropped the rears. Actually, no they didn't. It had to be fixed twice.

But it was under warranty and I had a backup rec.....so no biggie.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    For no more than $200 you could get a new receiver with more features on it so I wouldn't bother getting the old one fixed.

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

This happened to my friends exact same Sony receiver. If I were you, I would not bother trying to get it fixed, as it will probably cost upwards of $150. The heatsinks and power supplies of the DE series of receivers are horrible, and when my friend's receiver got too how, it just exploded and smelled like someone was trying to cook skunk over a tire fire. Just get a new receiver, and trash the old one.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the quote never hurts, but i've a feeling you've blown a few things in there. see any junk oozing from the capacitors? btw...you do use a surge protector yes?

6. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

I do use a surge protector, but I didn't when I tested it. Could that have been a problem? There is no ooze leaking. It did smell bad and it was loud enough to scare the dog.

Scott

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well you ought to use the surge protector but it sounds like either it was just one of those things or something that you did during your 'testing'. If the estimate is free, go for it, otherwise, as chung and others have said, it's shopping time.