my receiver keeps shutting off...why?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom_Price, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Tom_Price

Tom_Price Stunt Coordinator

I have a Yamaha RX-Z1 receiver paired up with two polk Lsi25 fronts and a 16-24 SVS PC Plus subwoofer. I have the sub output on the receiver running into the SVS, out of the SVS to the 10" powered sub on one of the towers, out of that tower and to the other tower's powered sub.

When I play music with a lot of bass too loud, the receiver shuts off. I realize this is probably clipping protection circuitry, but why does this occur if all the subs in the system are powered on their own? Shouldn't those shut off if they can't handle the load?

I am surprised that speakers and a receiver of this price range can't handle what I throw at it all of the time.

Besides the obvious of turning the volume down, what else could I do to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help,
    TJ

2. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

You may have a short somewhere in your speaker wires. Check the speaker wire termination to make sure that all the ends are cleanly connected at each of the binding posts (on the receiver and on the speakers). If you have any fray ends that are not completely covered by the binding post to clean those up.

The subs are not likely the problem, as they are self powered. If you didn't change the bass management of the speakers and have your mains set up as large, you would still be sending a full signal to your mains.

Good luck!
    Mass

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    While I would expect it to handle it, the LSis are 4 Ohm and are lower in sensitivity, and may be dropping to too low of an impedance for the receiver. With just the two though, I'm surprised it is a problem.

*edit - I just read an article from Home Theater Mag. and it says the Z1 is capable of a 4 Ohm load with two speakers driven, so you may have another problem.

How large is your room?

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

There's a switch on the back for using 4 ohm speakers, have you set that? This receiver really shouldn't have any problems driving these speakers, I've been told my RX-V1 could handle Polk LSi or M&K just fine by my dealer who is pretty reliable.

5. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

Or maybe it doesn't like what the input material is...lol

6. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I think it may be that your running your powered SVS into your powered towers. This shouldn't be necessary anyway. The subwoofer bass will be relegated into midrange status compared to the SVS IMO.

7. Keith Mickunas

ooh, I didn't read about all the connections. Why? Use one crossover, the one in the receiver. Your setup could make it hard to get a good response, and will make calibration more difficult. Use the speaker-level outputs on the receiver to the speakers, and the sub out to the sub, and that's it.

8. Tom_Price

Tom_Price Stunt Coordinator

The problem is not running the SVS into the powered towers. The SVS has a line out and this is going to the LFE in on one of the towers, and again from the line out on the first tower to the lfe in on the second tower.

I am merely passing along the bass signal to each amp.

9. Keith Mickunas

Why? If you want your speakers to handle both main and LFE duties, set them to large and set sub out to both, then connect just the sub out to your sub and you'll get the exact some result. The more connections you have, the greater possibility of a problem. At the very least double and triple check all your cables and your settings. Make sure you have every jumper/switch set on the speakers for this configuration, also check your receiver settings. If you have your speakers set to large, and your feeding them the bass separately, that could cause a problem in the speaker that ends up tripping the receiver.