My receiver just started humming

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Randy L, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Randy L

Randy L Auditioning

I have had my set up for several years now. I have an H/K AVR65. Last night for no apperant reason I started getting a hum in the from three channels. This morning I disconnected everything from the receiver (TiVo, XBox, DVD, CD, VCR, TV, etc) I also unplugged everything from the wall except the receiver. Still hum. Any thoughts?

Randy

2. Michael Cucka

Michael Cucka Stunt Coordinator

Michael Cucka
    This happened to me several months back with my Marantz...

Turned out to be a cheap lamp that I just bought that added a ton of noise into the electric line - in a completely different room!!

Before I figured it out, I even tried several very high-end line conditioners and filters (my local dealer let me borrow them) and they did nothing to remove the noise...Good case for a dedicated line over a power conditioner if there ever was one! [​IMG]

HTH -

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Don't know if that's going to solve his problem Michael, but I look at it as a wonderful example of insight upon your part. Given that all those approaches didn't work suggests that the problem was air born EMI and not via the AC lines. Well that never stopped an audio salesperson from recommending something that didn't work!!

OK, back to the problem...you're saying that the ONLY thing hooked up is the receiver and speakers right? I'd certainly take a look at Mike's insight and for the hell of it, I'd run the receiver into another outlet, preferably on a different line. Also borrow a power cord from some other piece of equipment.

4. Randy L

Randy L Auditioning

Yeah, I did try several other outlets, including a dedicated GFI in the garage via an extension cord. No dice. HMMMMMMMM. Its interesting how a piece of electroninc equip can start acting up after years of flawless service. Do you think it could be something internal to the receiver?

Randy

5. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

My receiver started humming one time... Turned out, it didn't know the words.

6. Michael Cucka

Michael Cucka Stunt Coordinator

Michael Cucka
    Likewise, with my Marantz humming, it didn't matter where I plugged it into my house in relation to the offending lamp - only a matter of severity (the closer the two on the same circuit, the louder the hum).

I simply began unplugging other items one at a time in the house until I found the problem - tedious, but ultimately it saved me alot of other aggrevation if I took the receiver in for repair...

7. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I got a hum a few months ago when I bought a new refrigerator. That thing wonked out the power for my HT room. The solution for me was to connect Ebtech Hum Eliminator boxes between my pre/pro and my receiver.