My receiver gets really hot, is there any quiet mini fans or something of the sort?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChrisDumont, Jul 13, 2003.

1. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

My receiver gets pretty warm/hot when I use it for extended amounts of time and I am worried one day I might overheat it (though I do take breaks to cool it down, I'm more worried about my brother forgetting). I keep it in my TV stand which has those glass doors. Anyways, are there any "mini-fans" or something to keep my receiver cool? I would prefer them to be as quiet as possible as I dont want to hear them while watching a movie (ruins the mood). Thx

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can get some 12 volt DC muffin fans from Radio Shack, CompUSA, Frys. Then go to Radio Shack and get one of their "Battery Eliminators" to power them. But use 6-9 volts instead of 12 to reduce the speed & make them quiet.

Remember, your rack needs to have openings in the bottom for cool air to move in, and another opening at the top for hot air to escape. A fan wont do much if you dont have lots of space or input/output venting.

3. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    I finally just removed the glass doors on both sides of our entertainment center for better cooling. It also got rid of any glare from lights.