1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My receiever is dead, need a good new one!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Borbakov, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Mike Borbakov

here's my story. i bought a pioneer sx-780 receiver, i had one when i was a kid and i loved it. i still love it now, but today i woke up and turned it on and it's officially dead. i can probably get it fixed, BUT the thing is it's time to get a new reliable one. the thing is, ive heard $300 dollar sony receivers and a cheap JVC one and they're nothing compared to my pioneer. this thing gets clean loud power and it's all analog. that's basically what i want now from a new receiver, but i want it to be under 300 bucks. im thinking about denon, marantz, and maybe harmon kardon? im not sure what's better than what, and i live in a little hick town so its hard to go to places where i can go listen to them.
    im going to use this receiver for music only, nothing else. so i dont need any of that dolby 5.1 digital crap or anything. i just want a 2 channel receiver that will give my speakers the power they need to sound their best. and i want a good warm sounding receiver. i dont want something that sounds all digital and fake, thats kinda like what the JVC was like for me. i WOULD like something that has a DIRECT function on it though. my dad's new pioneer has one and i think it's pretty cool (the function at least), even though his set up sucks. so please tell me what u guys think i'd be happy with. AND if it's really worth it i could stretch the price to 350, BUT that's pushing it.
    thanks in advance for the help

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

and your requirements are? maybe room size and speaker efficiencies and the level at which you play music might shed a bit more light on things

3. Mike Borbakov

im a 17 year old kid. my room is SMALL. i have JBL S26 bookshelves, their effiency is around 89db. i could tell too compared to my other speakers that got nice and loud with that crappy JVC, and when i hooked these up to it they were barely moving. so i probably need a good 100-150 watts before i'll be satisfied. AND i just hooked up my like 5 year old sony receiver and i might be content with it for now. i dont know yet, i need to give it some more listening time. what do u think i should do? would a good denon or marantz receiver make a big difference? would they change my sq very much? i dont wanna spend 300 bucks if it's not gonna make a big difference. let me know what u guys think.

4. Mike Borbakov

what about onkyo? i hear about them a lot too.
    i just want to know if a new receiver will make a difference compared to my sony one i got now. i like my cds to sound as warm and rich as possible, but im on a budget so i can only get so close. also, it needs a lot of inputs. i like to have my my vcr, my cd player, my tape deck, my turntable, and my eq all used in the same receiver. lol yeah, thats a lotta stuff. but i'd be willing to ditch the eq, i dont need it, i just have it so i can see the spectrun analyzer and use it for bad recordings. and i could use inputs of another receiver and run them into tape monitors of another so its not really a problem. please tell me what i should do, if i should keep the sony and buy something else or if i should replace the sony with something better.

5. John.J

John.J Auditioning

I would personally recommend Denon Dra665 or Hk3470 or 3370 receivers.I have Denon dra775rds which I love.Check this out but don't bid more then $110 and shipping is around 30http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=5168828
    Good luck, check out audioreview.com for reviews

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Check out Marantz new line of receivers. The SR-X200 (4200, 5200, 6200, and 7200 specifically). I think your looking in the right direction if you want clean power by thinking about Denon, Marantz, and H/K. Give a listen yourself. I like Marantz warm, detailed sound a lot.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

7. Mike Borbakov

well right now i only have 85 bucks. so unless something is on ebay for REALLY cheap im not gonna be able to buy anything yet.
    BUT thanks for the help already.
    do u guys know any online stores i could buy any pof these from? AND also i want somehting with a good phono on it, my sony's phono SUCKS. feeback like crazy and not very much fidelity out of it. and what are the retail prices for the ones that u guys mentioned? i probably wont pay retail, but i want to get an idea of what models i should be looking into that are into my price range. keep the suggestions coming!

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

that's a tight budget for sure. with those efficiencies, i can't envision a reason for 100-150 wpc but to each their own. take a look at the electronics section ofwww.pricewatch.com and possibly some local electronic stores in your area may be dying to get rid of something that hasn't moved in a couple of years. walk in with cash. good luck

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer