My rear(s) are alive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

About a month ago the upgraditis itch struck and I splurged on an AMP I could not afford. My budget was limited(so as the wife wouldn't notice) and a new Rotel RMB-1066 was introduced to the family. I picked this AMP because of its ability to be bridged(6x60, 5x70, .., 3x150)and also because the price of other 3 channel amps was just too far out of my budget. For a while I had been reading of others who had moved to an external AMP to power their speakers and how this move had given their speakers new meaning. Ever since I hooked it up I am constantly amazed as what I now hear coming from my speakers. Clarity, depth of field, highs, lows, mids and more. It is just amazing what speakers can do when given enough power. My system consists of a Denon 1801, Paradigm Mini Monitors(f/r), CC-350 and PS-1000. When I got the Denon, too replace my Yamaha I was taken back with the sound it created. Warm, not bright like the Yamaha. I just didn't think it could get any better, until I hooked up the AMP. With the AMP powering the fronts and center the Denon is left to power the rears. I kid you not but my rears are more active now than they were before. I haven't changed my setup in any other way except to reclinate, and I swear I hear stuff coming out of my rears than I never heard before. They are just more enveloping. This has been one of the best upgrades I ever did. I would suggest to anyone who maybe thinking of replacing their receiver to think twice about adding an AMP instead. You definitely won't be disappointed.
    Kevin

2. Greg_Bedard

Greg_Bedard Agent

Thanks for the input Kevin, it is really, really helpful.
    I have been contemplating adding an amp to boost my Onkyo 696 and HTD Level III speakers. Your input might have sealed it. Now I just have to figure out when to do it. I want a new computer...oh, and then there's that pesky honeymoon I have to pay for. Well, I'm sure I'll figure out a time to fit it in. [​IMG]

3. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Good deal! Now, here's an inexpensive way to upgrade your sound : Run dedicated AC lines (at least 2) to your system. Plug your amp into one and your other digital components into the other. It's almost like adding 20-50w/channel more per channel and quieting the background noise.
    Elbert

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Quote:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Good deal! Now, here's an inexpensive way to upgrade your sound : Run dedicated AC lines (at least 2) to your system. Plug your amp into one and your other digital components into the other. It's almost like adding 20-50w/channel more per channel and quieting the background noise.
    Elbert
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I do plan on doing this hopefully this winter. The room that houses my breaker box needs some new drywall so when I tear out the old I figured I'd re-wire the room at the same time. SO I may as well add a couple more runs of wire to my HT room.
    Kevin

5. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I just added a more powerfull amp to my system and noticed the same with the rears. Im guessing it has alot to do with the more powerfulll amps ability to push more power through the long rear speaker runs.

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

FOr me the Denon now has less to drive with the AMP taking over control of the fronts.
    Kevin