My rant for the day ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hammerly, May 10, 2002.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I have to get this off my chest. Am I just being anal, or is it really annoying when someone says they are going to "invest" into a piec of gear, rack, or tv or something. It just cracks me up when people say that when you buy something to get the nicest you can afford because it's an "investment". I'm sorry, but an investment to me is something that gives me an appreciable return for my dollar. I don't care what you get for equipment, it's sure not going to be worth more a year from now. Anyway, I guess I'm just being weird this morning, but I wish people would use terms like splurge on the nicer set, or blow the extra money on that Denon receiver. : ) That's what it is isn't it? I'm just as guilty as anyone else when it somes to spending too much on audio/video gear, but at least I don't try to justify it by calling it an investment. Hope no one takes offense to this, but boy I feel better now. Out. [​IMG]

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    What Bill said. If what you buy gives you pride, enjoyment, peace of mind, security, safety, happiness..etc. It is an investment.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

5. Jason Hammerly

I see what you guys are saying, and somewhat agree. I just see the term used way too loosely and it gets on my nerves. I do agree that it's worth putting the money into good equipment for the enjoyment you'll have for the years to come, but just get annoyed when people post and badger others for not "investing" more money into something. Take this post for instance from a thread I was reading about X-box ....

---------------------------------------------

I'm glad I waited. I've been able to enjoy my PS2 and GCN for a while now. Now I can add the XBox and enjoy all systems. For me this is very good news. One question...Why are they lowering the price? Is it because of lower than expected sales? I'd hate to invest in a system that will die a short death...

----------------------------------------------

That's what bugs me more than anything else. Anyway, just trying to get my point across. Just seems silly to me the things that we see as investments now a days. Later guys.

Jason

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I have to agree to even though the ROI is not monitary its still an investment on enjoyment and long life span.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Regarding original post. You are correct though. An asset is something that gives you return monetarily. That is the reason why a house is not an investment but a liability, at least until it is payed off. or something like that [​IMG]

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

10. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

example: Ron-P invests in beer. His return is unusable to most people but he feels good when his investment "pays off". [​IMG]

11. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

example: RonP invests in beer. His return is unusable to most people but he feels good when his investment "pays off". [​IMG]

12. Jason Hammerly

hahaha ... that RAWKS. [​IMG]

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Damn Dennis [​IMG] thanks for the laugh...
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

14. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

[​IMG]