What's new

My rant for the day ... (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I have to get this off my chest. Am I just being anal, or is it really annoying when someone says they are going to "invest" into a piec of gear, rack, or tv or something. It just cracks me up when people say that when you buy something to get the nicest you can afford because it's an "investment". I'm sorry, but an investment to me is something that gives me an appreciable return for my dollar. I don't care what you get for equipment, it's sure not going to be worth more a year from now. Anyway, I guess I'm just being weird this morning, but I wish people would use terms like splurge on the nicer set, or blow the extra money on that Denon receiver. : ) That's what it is isn't it? I'm just as guilty as anyone else when it somes to spending too much on audio/video gear, but at least I don't try to justify it by calling it an investment. Hope no one takes offense to this, but boy I feel better now. Out. :D

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I'm sorry, but an investment to me is something that gives me an appreciable return for my dollar.
Sometimes that "appreciable return" isn't monetary. It can be peace of mind, a higher enjoyment factor, less long term hassle, lower maintenance/repair costs, etc. It may have a higher up front cost, but the buyer feels they're getting more for their money and not just "blowing it." Thus...an investment.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
What Bill said. If what you buy gives you pride, enjoyment, peace of mind, security, safety, happiness..etc. It is an investment.
Peace Out~:D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't care what you get for equipment, it's sure not going to be worth more a year from now.
Tell that to an owner of a vintage, mint-condition Marantz Model 7C preamplifier or a Marantz Model 9 power amplifier. Or a McIntosh C-22 preamplifier. Or any of the early Dynaco tube preamps and amps.

Since we're talking semantics here, spending a chunck o' change on equipment with which we will have a longterm relationship seems like an investment to me. As Bill says.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I see what you guys are saying, and somewhat agree. I just see the term used way too loosely and it gets on my nerves. I do agree that it's worth putting the money into good equipment for the enjoyment you'll have for the years to come, but just get annoyed when people post and badger others for not "investing" more money into something. Take this post for instance from a thread I was reading about X-box ....

---------------------------------------------

I'm glad I waited. I've been able to enjoy my PS2 and GCN for a while now. Now I can add the XBox and enjoy all systems. For me this is very good news. One question...Why are they lowering the price? Is it because of lower than expected sales? I'd hate to invest in a system that will die a short death...

----------------------------------------------

That's what bugs me more than anything else. Anyway, just trying to get my point across. Just seems silly to me the things that we see as investments now a days. Later guys.

Jason

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'd hate to invest in a system that will die a short death...
In the context of that sentence, the use of 'invest' makes sense to me. The writer doesn't want to spend money on a machine, accessories & games only to see his/her money spent on a 'dead system'. They are 'investing' money in return for support through games. It's not investing in return for money back.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I have to agree to even though the ROI is not monitary its still an investment on enjoyment and long life span.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Regarding original post. You are correct though. An asset is something that gives you return monetarily. That is the reason why a house is not an investment but a liability, at least until it is payed off. or something like that :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
An asset is something that gives you return monetarily. That is the reason why a house is not an investment but a liability, at least until it is payed off. or something like that
Since most homes appreciate in value, they should be considered an investment. You can sell your home before you pay off the mortgage and still make a profit.
Actually, since not all investments actually appreciate in monetary value, any purchase could be considered an investment. It just may not be a profitable investment. Anyone out there lose any money in the stock market in the past year? :)

DennisHP

Second Unit
example: Ron-P invests in beer. His return is unusable to most people but he feels good when his investment "pays off". :)

DennisHP

Second Unit
example: RonP invests in beer. His return is unusable to most people but he feels good when his investment "pays off". :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Damn Dennis
smiley_rotflmao.gif
thanks for the laugh...
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks