My Quest for a new TV (I need help)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TreyP, Oct 5, 2001.

1. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

I'm new here, and not really familiar with home theater/TVs, so I'm not sure exactly what to look for. This is what I do have right now: RCA Home Theatre system (RT2250), RCA 5disk DVD Player (RC5910P). I know that this is amateur stuff to most of you on here, but this is my first real experience with HT.
    Now on to what I plan on using my TV for most of the time... I plan on using it mostly for: watching DVD movies, playing games (XBox), and watching sports. I am very interested in getting a widescreen, but I want one that will always display whatever I'm watching in the correct dimensions. I hate watching things that are stretched. I watch a lot of sports, and this will become very annoying. Also, I realize that all movies on DVD aren't displayed in the same ratio. One of the reasons I wanted it, is because I beleive some of the sports games coming out will have a widescreen option, that allows you to see more of the field. But I am starting to back away from getting one of these, especially after I read that thread in the archive about people using "mattes."
    What I want out of my TV the most:
    One of the first priorities will have to be flatscreen. I HATE GLARE! This is one of the most annoying things with the way I have my living room set up. I am considering getting an HDTV, although I'm still a little confused as to what the difference is between HDTV and high resolution digital (what is the difference?). I'm also still unsure as to what brand I should go for (although I don't want to get tunnel vision and go after one brand in particular). I was leaning toward getting an RCA, but that was only simply because the rest of my equipment is RCA, and I won't have any hassle with the remotes, etc. But as I already stated, I don't want to zoom in on only one brand. I've also been reading a lot of opinions on here that RCA is crap. I have also been very attracted to Sony Wegas (Is it Wega or Vega?) and Trinitrons. One thing I don't want is a projection TV. I would much prefer to go with a digital, even though they are usually priced higher. I don't know why, but I just hate projection TVs. I think the main reason is because, unless your looking at it straight on, the picture starts to fade (am I wrong on this?)
    Anyway, that's what I'm looking for, and I hope some of you can help. I'll gladly accept any advice on what to look for. Thanks.
    -Trey
    [Edited last by TreyP on October 05, 2001 at 04:05 PM]

2. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

Oh yea, my budget:
    Right now, I have about $600-700 free to spend. I am willing to wait a little while and save up some more money first if I decide that I want something better, although I don't intend on spending more than $1500 altoghether, unless its a set that I really, desperately want. Also, one other note, I'm in one of those factory direct clubs, and I'll probably order my set through there. So whatever I get, I'll probably save at least $200 or more off the retail price.

3. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

Not going to get anything digital, or 16x9, in that price range.
    You wont be able to find a 32 or 26 inch non digital flat glass screne either. maybe you should look at a highend 27 inch wega for quality.
    Otherwise, go down to circuit city and pick up which ever $650 36" strikes your fancy.

4. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

at your budget you're not gonna get close to HDTV ready or widescreen. It all comes down to what size you're looking at. I don't know what set you're living with now, but you may want to wait a while for prices to come down.
    Basically you're looking at about $1500-$2500 for a 32"-36" flat screen, 4:3, HD-ready set from Panasonic or Sony. 34" flat Widescreen direct view HD-ready sets are usually alot more.
    If you need a new TV now and you demand a flat screen you really need to be looking at an analog model in the 27" range to stay in budget. Panasonic, Sony, JVC and Toshiba all have analog flatscreens in your price range. Go to crutchfield.com or your local BEST BUY to see the competition. I'll vote for the WEGA because they perform V-compression- I don't know if the other brands do the squeeze, but I'd consider that feature a must have for anamorphic DVD's.
    hope this helps
    zaphod
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

5. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

Well, when I buy a new TV, I will definetly get something big (36"). I think I may have to wait another month or so. I also have a DirecTV satellite system, don't know if that plays into the digital aspect or not.
    But I do have 2 other questions about projection TVs.
    1- Do they all start to fade when you look at them from an angle?
    2- I hear its unsafe to play video games on them. Is this true?
    Thanx

6. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

Projection TV's have gotten much better over the years so if you haven't looked at them lately you really should- they really are the best bet for HD and DVD (IMHO).
    That said, yes they still suffer from Hot-Spotting- they look best from the sweetspot and they are darker from the floor, standing, or the extreme sides.
    As far as video games go, the rule of thumb is no static images for any length of time is the only way to be safe from burn-in. The best thing to do (on any TV) is to adjust your contrast and brightness with AVIA or Video Essentials, that will alleviate some of the stress of the CRTs. Still though, with video games, static images like life bars or dashboards etc. cause damage if left on for extended periods of time. If you are a casual gamer- a couple hours a week you should be fine, but if you like to play the same game for hours at a time- like an all night session every night- stay away from a projection set. Even station logos, or a stock ticker on the bottom of a projection set can burn-in if left on for too long.
    as far as your satelite system goes, you don't need a digital set to watch- in fact you may notice even more artifacts from a digital set's internal line-doubler. I think you probably want to stay with an analog set for your needs. A 36" HDTV + an HDTV satellite receiver is gonna put you at around $2500 at least.
    If you decide you can live with a curved tube you could get a 36" now at your budget, if you have to have flat you're probably going to need around $1000-$1400.
    hope this helps
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

7. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

One quick question, aren't all of the Wegas and Trinitrons flat screen? I don't ever remember looking at one and it not being flat.
    But I was in Best Buy just a few days ago and looking at the Projections sets. Just from moving around looking at it, my wife and I were both turned off by it.

8. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

Please don't judge a TV (or "race" of TV's) at Best Buy.
    If you think you might save up some loot and take the HD RPTV plunge, tyr and find a shop in your area that has qulaified employees setting up the demo area.

9. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

and wegas are flat, but all Trinitrons are not

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Trinitrons (i think) are flat vertically, but not horizontally... So its like a cylinder kind thing, if you cut a cylinder in half, and look at it from the sides, you can see its flat with a bulge, but then if you look at it straingt on from the top, its curved..

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As for going digital on a budget, please bear in mind that Sampo has returned to the U.S. market. And among their well-reviewed sets, there's a 27-inch "high-definition" model in their line-up (see The Perfect Vision). I've read that you can find the 27-inch high-def Sampo for less than $1000.
    There are many nice analog-only Toshibas and JVCs out there in your price range. But if you get the Sony's 27-inch WEGA, you can take advantage of its user menu-accessible "squeeze" feature. Once you've seen an anamorphic DVD properly displayed, there's no going back.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

12. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Howdy,
    I noticed your comment about glare. The best way to reduce glare on the front of your set is with proper backlighting. Simply put, you mount a light behind your TV and turn off all other lighting.
    I got my setup from http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ but you can also buy lights from hardware stores as well.
    -Keith

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I had to chime in about RPTV's and the "sweetspot"
    I have looked at projection TV's for many years but never
    owned one due to that whole angle of view and getting dark
    or bright spots depending on your position. And even to this
    day some RPTV's are still horrid for this. I bought an RCA
    61" RPTV and this is no lie, I can stand completly to the
    side and the image is still bright (even though I can't see
    it) Infact I usualy sit at a very wide angle to the tv
    when I kicking back on the sofa and the image is bright
    and crystal clear. I beleive it all depends on the size of
    the mirror and the brightness of the CRT's that has the most
    effect on shadows and brigt spots.
    Ohh one more thing, I picked my 61" up for under 2K when
    Montgomery Wards went out of biz... I waited till the week
    before they shut the doors and I got a near 3K set for sub-
    stantialy less.... Shop, shop, shop around!

14. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I am starting to lean towards getting this TV, mainly because I can get such a good deal on it. I can get it for $762, so I get it almost half price. But I can't tell just by looking at it here if its a flatscreen. Does anyone have any experience with this set, or know much about it? Also, are there any downsides to it?
    Thanx

15. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I sell this set and it is not a flat set. It also has no line doubler built in for standard analog TV. The only way you could buy this set for that price new is if its stolen as I cant get one directly from RCA for that price.
    ------------------
    Jeff Whitford
    Hometheater Guru

16. Jeff Whitford

duplicate post
    [Edited last by Jeff Whitford on October 10, 2001 at 02:59 AM]

17. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

I buy all my major purchases through a factory direct club, and I believe this comes straight from RCA. After shipping and other fees, it will end up around $850 or so, but still is a steal. I honestly didn't expect the price to be this low though. I definetly want a Wega, and the only one I checked on was the KV-36FS13 and I can get that one for $1040. I'm going to call tommorrow to get prices on a couple other Wegas, then make my decision. I really would like to get a Wega, but I am starting to like this TV for this price with HDTV.

18. Jeff Whitford

We sell that set at $1299. For the money its not to bad. If you are going to get a Wega get the 32FV27 its the only one to buy in the non HD sets. The new Toshiba flats are nice looking and they are cheaper the the Sonys.
    ------------------
    Jeff Whitford
    Hometheater Guru

19. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

Can I ask why you say only the 32FV27? I was really wanting to go with 36".

20. Jeff Whitford

Because I dont think the picture on the FS TVs are that great and at the price point you listed you may be able to get the 32FV. Or buy a non flat 36.
    ------------------
    Jeff Whitford
    Hometheater Guru