My quest for a budget reciever- The continuing saga

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Jun 6, 2002
    As many of you know I have basically determined what I want in a budget home theater. I have decided on Fluance speakers and a DLS 10" sub. However, the reciever has been giving me a little trouble. As Dustin pointed out to me, many of the main stream companies(Panny, RCA etc...), publish misleading specs for their amps. Anyway, I was browsing the recivers,amps forum and I found this link to a Technics reciever and although it is rated for 100 watts x 5 at 6ohms. The specs are rated for a 20-20k frequency signal at .05% THD which is much better than the Panny I was looking at right? Here is the link to the product:
    Technics Reciever
    The price on this reciever is almost half of the MSRP which seems like a great deal, and should only cost me a about $360 Canadian with tax and shipping.
    If this one is not good, can any one recommend a good reciever in the $300-400 Canadian price range?
    Thank you for your patience.
  2. sam_canavo

sam_canavo Stunt Coordinator

May 11, 2002
    What Panny were you looking at? I have the sa-he9 and quite like it. There are a couple of minor drawbacks but I won't go into detail unless you'd like. I have been following your saga and can relate. Panasonic does have a new receiver, can't remember the model but retails around
    450 canadian.
  3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Mar 10, 2001
    Here are some options in no particular order. Some might be a little over $400CDN or require some haggling to get them under $400.

You can also see if you can find any of these, or previous years models used on ebay on in your local classifieds.

Onkyo tx-sr500
    Denon 1602
    Harman Kardon AVR120 or 125
    Yamaha RX-V420 or 430 or 520 (yamaha has some other numbers for essentially the same receivers depending on where you get them)