My PVR501 Died!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveK, Dec 17, 2001.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Jan 10, 2000
    Well, it seems my Dish Network PVR501 has died. The other evening, I unplugged it to reset it as I was having problems (as Dish Network advises). When I plugged it back in, both the green and red lights on the front panel were lit. I was not recording anything, so the red light should not have been on. Also, it was not outputting any signal, either audio or video. In addition, it would not respond to any signal from the remote control and would not even respond to any button push on the front panel. I couldn't even turn it off except by unplugging it!

Needless to say, I called Dish Network and did everything they told me to try, and the unit was still dead. I left it unplugged overnight and tried it again the next morning, with the same result. Fortunately, the unit was still under warranty, so Dish Network is sending me a replacement unit for $14.95 S/H.

The worst part of it is that I had not watched about 12 movies that I had recorded from TCM and Sundance Channels, including Citizen Kane and Seven Samurai, etc. So the unit will be replaced, but obviously those movies are gone forever (or until the next time they're shown, whichever comes first).

It's not the end of the world, but I sure do miss my PVR501. I had forgotten how slow the program guide was on my old unit!

Hopefully my next one will last longer.

Steve K.
  2. HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Agent

Oct 12, 1999

I am on my fourth 501 since April of this year.

While they are working they are great...., but each of them has suffered a different failure.

1. Audio bug that gave you a popping....

2. Hard drive ceased to function, but the rest of the unit worked.

3. Hard drive worked, but corrupted about 80% of the data.

Each of these worked fine for a month or two before they cratered.

I was surprised that they charged you shipping on the replacement. So far I have not been asked to do that!