What's new

My Puppy Won't Speak! (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I have a puppy who will be a year old month. We are pretty sure he's a basenji, and the basenji breed only barks in a "yodel" (which he does) if he gets excited at a neighbor or another puppy. And that's about it. He does'nt bark when he needs to go outside.

I'm thinking of tying a bell to the door and trying to get him to tug on a treat on the other end of a string or something... But that's all I've got. ;)

He can shake (with both paws) and he can sit with the best of them, if only Kahlo could drop his rocks outside.

ry

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Our pup (Cavalier/Cockapoo mix) was similar. Never barked much during her first year. All that changed pretty quick... now she won't shut up ! Thunder, garbage trucks, helicopters, neighbors coming home, you name it and she let's everyone know.

I predict an early demise for this canine......

(just kidding, but hopefully all you need is a little patience)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My brother has a 9 year old Golden and he has NEVER barked a day in his life. He has vocal chords because he'll growl and you can almost get him to make a barking sound if you horse around with him, but he's never come close to barking ever!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
We thought that Mollie, the dog that I grew up with, was mute for the first year of her life. She never made sound of any kind. I was in the front yard riding my bike while my two younger brothers were playing with the dog. When she broke out with roo roo roo roo! it was so shocking I fell of my bike :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
My dog pretty much only barked at strangers, and the mailman of course. At some point we found out we could coax her to do a real funny howl/bark sound. The only annoying thing about her barking was that when she was inside she used a high pitched bark and yet outside she used a normal bark, and that high pitched bark was real high and loud.

As for needing to go out, she'd find whoever was closest to the door, and run to them, then run towards the door, look back at the person, sometimes do a little spin, and repeat. We got the hint and let her out. Never had a problem with her in this regards. After she was housebroken the only accidents she had were when she would pee a little when someone new would come in the house, but she was a Cocker, and they do that for their first few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks