What's new

My Punky Brewster buying dilemma at Wal-mart (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
So I went into Walmart today to pick up my copy of Punky Brewster. I didn't see any on the shelf so I asked an employee if they were in yet. She told me that they were probably in but not out on the shelf. Then she went back to whatever she was doing. So I asked her if she could maybe go back and get me a copy. She said " No because then I would have to go through all of those boxes and that takes time". I just looked at her like " are you serious?"

When I went in to buy my copy of ROSWELL there, the guy I spoke to had no problems whatsoever going back and getting me a copy. He was more than happy to do it. I don't know what this girls problem was. All I know is she just lost that customer.

SO tomorrow I am heading to best buy to pick up my copy.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Yes. Most of the time I have problems when it comes to DVD's and Wal-Mart...

Either they don't have it in. Or, it's only in full-screen. Or, the don't have the edition I want.

As a rule, I generally avoid the Mart...

MattGSmith

Stunt Coordinator
I've been known to sort through boxes myself on Tuesdays at my Walmart. They are so slow and ignorant it seems. So, when I want something and it's not out, I look through their boxes myself until I find it. One time an employee asked me what I was doing (while I was searching for a cd that was just released), and I snapped, "Doing your job!" haha And they just walked away...

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
There really is no excuse for Wal-Mart not being prepared for the massive rush of customers wanting to buy PUNKY BREWSTER on the day of release.....;)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Don't they get the releases about a week in advance? On one extreme, you have retailers breaking street date to get more sales, and then there is Walmart, who can't even seem to get the DVDs on the shelf for release day. It seems like they are only hurting themselves.

John*P

Second Unit
When it comes to DVDs of recent movies or TV shows, Wal*Mart bites. They favor fullscreen over wide, and they almost never carry "unrated" versions of movies. Just today, I saw a big Eurotrip display full of DVDs, and they were all fullscreen and "rated". And, at least in my area, they only get about half of the new TV on DVD releases...I usually get my TV shows at Best Buy. (I got their last copy of Punky Brewster S1 Wednesday morning) Also, Wal*Mart is not a good place to find new catalog DVD titles...

However, they have some great deals on older catalog DVD titles. Great prices, $5.00-$10.00. I found some good stuff there over the past few months.

Gripe Time: Today, at Wal*Mart, I found Josie and the Pussycats on DVD, a movie I've been looking for forever, for a cool $5.88. The problem? "This movie has been edited for family viewing." What the hell??? To top it off, it was fullscreen! Now I ask, for a store that carries the R rated Porky's, why do they have to edit a PG-13 movie? (what's to edit?) In fact, that's the only version I find nowadays...the original widescreen PG-13 version seems very rare around here. (the edited one is "PG") Anyone know of a store that carries it regularly?

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
WEll, I went back to Walmart last night to see if the Punky Brewster set was out yet. It wasn't. I asked a man working in the section if he could go and get me a copy from the back and he told me to come back in a week and it should be out by then. I told him no. I will not be back to get it in a week that if he couldn't help me out now I would take my business elsewhere.

So I went to Best Buy last night and I bought myself a copy of the set. I also called Walmart to complain about the bad service and told them I would no longer be giving them my business.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
You know, its not easy being a cashier. I am still in high school, so I am a part time cashier and I sware there is just no pleasing some customers. You truly have a point and it was obviously annoying, but why did you go back if you had a problem the first time?

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I went back because the price there was cheaper and I was hoping that it would be out already. I have no problem taking my business elsewhere if the store isn't willing to help me out. If they want to lose a sale and a customer than fine by me.

I've worked as a cashier as well and it's never been a problem to go back and get the customer the things they need and ask for. That was my job.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Eh, there are plenty of reasons not to shop at Wal-Mart...but that's another topic for another thread.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Marc Sulinski wrote in Post #6:

I don't know about the Evil Empire, but when I slaved for Suncoast, it wasn't uncommon for some street-dated stuff to be mixed in with the regular batch of other discs. We would typically receive shipments on Friday, sort them out ASAP and have everything ready to roll by Tuesday.

However, with the Evil Empire's practice of stocking shelves late at night, there isn't any reason why street-dated discs can't be available on Tuesday—even if the discs aren't shipped until Monday.

De

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Wal-Mart has started getting edited versions of DVDs prodced? Crap. Now I'm going to have to be more careful wiht my purchases.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland

No, it's not easy. But it's your job to do your best to please them. You have to make a sale, and if that means you have to dig through some boxes, that's what you're being paid for. Lanie's request was most certainly not out-of-line for a title that they knew was supposed to be (and advertised as) out on the shelves. To tell a customer that they 1) won't look in the back and 2) should come back later is a horrible, horrible policy. Your only job is to sell items to people, and if you don't, you have failed at your job. If I were these people's manager, I would be furious.

As for the edited version of Josie, I still think it's funny that I bought the Ultimate Edition of T2 and the Criterion Collection of The Rock at Wal-Mart.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's a reason why Wal-Mart has cheap prices. You can't expect "first-class" serivce when you're getting "discount" prices. ;)

Best Buy may be higher priced, but it's worth not stepping foot in a Wal-Mart

Joe.S

Agent
Wasn't on the shelves at my Wal-mart. Better go elsewhere if you want Punky Brewster.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
Well I live in a very small town and unless I want to travel an hour, which I do for unrated dvds and unclean cds, I have to use Wal*Mart. One example is the Saved By The Bell sets at my Wal*Mart, I kept an eye for the Season 1 & 2 release and I still have never seen it. But I was in there last week and they had the Seasons 3 & 4 set. I want to know how many people are going to buy 3 & 4 when they couldn't get 1& 2. Another thing is after Wal*Mart of a tv show dvd it is rare that they get any more copies in.

Dave Regan

Auditioning
For some reason, I highly doubt WalMart gives a rip if, due to your not having a pleasurable experience purchasing Punky Brewster, you won't be coming back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks