My psychology is soooo weak!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JamesDB, Apr 1, 2004.

1. JamesDB

JamesDB Stunt Coordinator

So I watched some show on TV the other day on the owner of Monster Cables. He has a million dollar sound system in his obscenely large second house, Lamborghinis, pools custom hand sanded floors etc.

I walk into Best Buy looking to buy the cheapest 14guage speaker wire I can find for my new paradigms. All my training tells me cables make no difference. In fact the Monster cables I do have admittedly made no difference in the sound that I can hear. It just made me feel better.

So I see the cheap cables and the Monsters. And then a voice sooo powerful whispers to me… buy the Monster.. they must be better. They cost sooooo much more. Your Paradigms deserve them. You are dropping sound if you buy the cheap stuff. Monster, MONster… MONSTER!!!!

I ran for my life. Tomorrow I will go to Home Depot where they don’t sell that snake oil and buy my fantastic sounding HD14 guage!

Moral of the Story:

Flee Temptation and take your wife out on a date with your savings instead of buying Noel Lee’s wife that new rock

James

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

With the kind of dough Noel is rolling in, you would think he can afford to pony up the cash to put in streetlights in the town he lives in.

Yes, amazing as it seems, he lives in Hillsborough, California, a town without streetlights.

3. JamesDB

Oh, they love it that way here. Californians see that as a mark of prestige. They use it as snobbery. It means less people on their neighborhood roads at night to disturb their royal sleep. The "refuse of society" that cannot afford to live there should not even think of driving through.

Me... I like to live in the light...

J

4. JamesDB

Well passed by Home Depot today and picked up my 50 ft RCA 14 gauge cable.

Review

Hooking them up resulted in tuneful bass, notably good highs and a quite lifelike projection with a robust presentation that flattered the sonics. They possessed a transparency without any hint of glaze in the treble region akin to cables selling for over $1000 without the constipated feeling one gets after the purchase of the latter.

The cables excelled in reproducing the ambient detail and reverberation times with the subtle rise in energy and personality and timber found in the pristine macro-dynamics of the recording. No hint of nasality or constriction could be found within the sonal textures, its grain free smoothness belying a multi-thousand dollar price tag. Sibilance in the room all but vanished, replaced by the airy, very clean, aggressive, highly coherent, pristinely imaged sound emanating from the Paradigms. A wonderful relief came over me, bathing me in delight, knowing my wife would not skin me alive for the $15 cost.

I think I'm as proud of them as I am of my Paradigms! [​IMG]

J

5. john aprile

john aprile Agent

[​IMG]

6. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Thank you very much, James. Now that I've cleaned up...

I'm sitting here drinkin' the morning coffee, randomly clicking through pages (on a machine left on over night), take a big sip, read your post, and make like a whale! Coffee spray on the monitor, dribbled down the chin - the whole nine. Classic.

You're now the second HTF'r to get me - Chu Gai was the first. And, you definitely have a future in writing hi-fi/high-end reviews, too. Scary...