My PS2 will only play DVD games... not CD games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Holton, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

Recently, I began receiving a "read disk" error whenever I try to play a CD-ROM game on my PS2.

DVD based game play fine...

I talked to Sony, and their only response is that if I send in $130 and my system... they will ensure I get a working system back.... Gee.... Thanks.

Has anyone else experience this?

2. Brook

Brook Agent

Yeah, I had the same problem. Only mine wouldn't play any DVD's, and only some games. I called sony, same thing send money and system.

I just took an air compressor and blew it out. The fan hole, the front and I opened the disk tray and blew air in their too. Probably not the safest thing, but it works fine now!!

3. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

Thanks - I'll give that a try

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Just a note about the PS2's infamous Disc Read Error messages..
    When I bought my PS2 over a year ago, it played every DVD/CD based game, and every DVD I owned. As time went by, it started giving out Disc Read Errors on one, then two, soon most every single DVD (and most CDs) I tried to play. Short of arranging for a refund or a fix/replacement through Sony, I tried everything, including compressed air. Nothing worked.
    I have since bought a *real* DVD player... and I only say 'real' because the picture quality for DVD movies is at least 4 times as good. I had no idea what I was missing out on by watching movies on a PS2. Surfaces that were swirling with pixels and artifacts on the PS2 are now rock solid. Panning shots that were blurry and indistinct are now a bit more solid. And dark shadowy areas in movies that were masses of chunky brown pixels on the PS2, are now sharp, clear and defined.
    There is a huge difference. I still use the PS2 for gaming (and its a fine system), but I would never go back to using it as a DVD player. It's well below par.
    Joseph

5. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

If the air compressor thing doesn't work, I read in Gamepro that placing two equal-lenght pieces of scotch tape parallel to each other beside the disc's holes (on the non-data side, of course) can fix the problem, by adding weight and stability to the disc.