What's new

my ps2 : RIP (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
This happened to my PS1 a long time ago. After sending the unit in along with $80.00 it was working again. Still it sucks to have it happen in the first place.
You could have bought a replacement drive through mail order, popped the hood with a phillips head and been done in 10min for $25 :) Just FYI
Again, Sony cheaped out on the drive component, and they're paying for it. Launch PS1s had plastic laser sleds which wore down, and caused the laser to fall out of alignment. Sony NEVER admitted to the problem, but generation 3 and up PS1s had metal sleds

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Launch PS1s had plastic laser sleds which wore down, and caused the laser to fall out of alignment. Sony NEVER admitted to the problem, but generation 3 and up PS1s had metal sleds
And strangely enough, the original Japanese machines had metal sleds - they changed it for the West to cut costs. At one point they kind of admitted they made a mistake, without actually taking the blame. Wish I could dig up the quote.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Got mine on launch day and its still working. Every once in a while it has trouble reading a disc, but restarting it or popping the disc in and out or just letting it sit for a minute will fix the problem.
That's how it starts. Soon it will stop reading discs altogether.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A week or so ago it did get a disc read error, but so long as I don't have to send it in I'm happy.

Maybe Sony makes PS2s with a huge ball of dust inside that over time gets moved around the machine...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks