my ps2 : RIP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jun 15, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i have to ship it back to playstation.com, it wont read any disc anymore. about 1 year and 3 months old.

i am really dissapointed with the build quality. i have never abused it. the longest time i used it was when watching pearl harbor.

2. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

. . . And after being forced to play that tripe, it decided life just wasn't worth living anymore.
    [​IMG]

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Got mine on launch day and its still working. Every once in a while it has trouble reading a disc, but restarting it or popping the disc in and out or just letting it sit for a minute will fix the problem.

4. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

out of curiousity, how much will it cost to be fixed. Shortly after my brother got his PS2 (back when it first launched) it broke. (maybe 3 months?) and it cost him 125.00 from Sony to have it fixed.

It doesnt make much sense to spend that much now, when you could just buy a new one for 75.00 more?

Thanks!

5. felix_suwarno

oh, well, i guess it would be about 140 bucks.

119 bucks for the fixing and shipping back, and about 10 tp 20 bucks to ship the console to them.

i was looking for a new console, but...75 bucks is 75 bucks. i had better save 75 bucks for another things.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

This happened to my PS1 a long time ago. After sending the unit in along with $80.00 it was working again. Still it sucks to have it happen in the first place.
    -Andre F

7. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I'm a little worried because I bought mine used, so if anything ever happens to it, I'll have to fork over 200 bucks and get a new one.

8. Curtis Lotter

Curtis Lotter Stunt Coordinator

When mine quit reading cd based games I took it in the garage and blew the sh** out of it with my air compressor. Out came a big cloud of dust, it works fine now. A friend had the same problem and the "blow job" [​IMG] also did the trick for his PS2.
    Definitely put this advice under "DO AT YOUR OWN RISK." It worked for me and I was willing to take a chance that it might cause other problems. Otherwise it may be easier to just trust Sony to charge us a "fair" price for repairs.[​IMG]

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

10. felix_suwarno

damn. sounds like i need the blowjob.

but i dont have a garage. i dont even have the air compressor. maybe i have to learn to blowjob it myself.

11. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Nah, you just have to pay for your blowjob. Take it to an air pump, pay the 25 cents and give it the blowjob it deserves.

12. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

25 cent blowjobs. [​IMG]
    What a pipedream. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

13. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

My PS2 has been gradually unable to read more and more DVDs over the last year and a half. For instance, a year ago it played several DVDs which it now refuses to read. I have tried the compressed air, lens cleaners, switching on/off, resetting, and everything else. This is a hardware issue that might be fixed by sending the machine to Sony, but for the same price I could get a pretty decent DVD player superior visual quality.

There's always the chance, too that Sony will claim to have fixed the problem and they'll send back an unfixed machine.

It would be typical.

Joseph

14. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

This is a very huge problem that Sony is trying to cover up.
    I had the same problem, and through some research on the net, found out that there are ALOT of other people that this has happened to.
    I also learned that their customer service is told to play dumb regarding the matter when you call, but they are WELL AWARE of the situation. The also have a 3 tiered policy in regards to dealing with complaints. (Keep in mind, this was before the price drop)
    First they tell you it will cost $119.00 to fix.
    If you complain more, they will drop repair cost to $64.00.
    Then if you complain more, or flat out tell them that you KNOW that they are aware of this problem and are going to contact a consumer group, they will fix it for free.
    My PS2 was a launch model, was hardly ever used, and then this happened. Sony should recall these systems and fix them.
    Here's a link to discussion, a Class Action suit is even being suggested:
    http://pub94.ezboard.com/fgameconsolerepairforumfrm3

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I remember someone wrote into GameSpot saying that they filed a complaint with some government agency on the internet and sent a link to Sony, who then offerred to fix the PS2 for free.

16. felix_suwarno

file a complaint to a government agency? gimme a link please.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I don't have the link, but its some government office that deals with consumer complaints.

18. felix_suwarno

what is the name of the office? it will at least help me out greatly.

btw i will also try to blowjob it with my vacuum.

thanks

19. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

If you don't have access to an air compressor, you might try using a can of compressed air, it'd be a couple of dollars at Radio Shack. I usually keep one on hand for blowing out my PC case every so often. Worked for my cartridge based consoles too.

20. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

try the Consumer Protection Agency