My PS2 is dying!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Poehlman, Nov 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It sounds like my DVD ROM drive might be going out on my PS2. Occasionally it will have trouble reading a disk and it sounds like it's banging its little head against the side.

It's an intermittent problem at the moment... but I think it's getting worse.

Anyone ever have this problem and fix it themselves? I'd hate to invest too much money getting it repaired or replaced when PS3 is just around the corner.

Is there a way to mod a PS2 to use a standard DVD-ROM drive? I'm tripping over them here at the office. [​IMG]

2. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Sorry I have no idea.
    But you might wanna mention if it is the orignal PS2 or the current slimline version.
    Hopefully that will help to answer your question for one of the experts on here.

3. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

4. Adam W

Adam W Stunt Coordinator

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Bummer.. I've had my PS2 for probably like 5 years now.

It would be nice to get a new slimline with the built in ethernet port. I wonder if I could forge a toys-r-us receipt. hmmmm....

So far, the PS2 seems to have healed itself. I'll try taking out the Vagos in San Andreas tonight and see how it holds up. [​IMG]

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

UPDATE: My PS2 really began struggling this past weekend. So, I decided to crack her open and see if maybe there was a glob of cat hair on the lens or something.

I found that the lens assembly didn't seem to move too smoothly on its rails. So, I lubed 'em up with some 3 in 1 oil (should probably use lithium grease.. but, I didn't have any). I also swabbed the lens off with some windex for good measure.

Now, it's better than ever! The PS2 is completely silent save for the fan noise. Even when new, I could hear the lens whirring and jerking back and forth. I don't hear that anymore.

Feeling rambunctious, I decided to try and tackle the defective actuator in my controller (I think it may have been sat on... or thrown). Uh... let's just say I need to go buy a new controller. :b There's lots of little parts in there.

7. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

May I ask what is Lithium grease? My DVD player Integra DPS 10.5 makes this awful screetching noise when it does a chapter search. Maybe it too could do with a dob of grease[​IMG]

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

[​IMG]
    I'm sure you can find it most anywhere. It's durable stuff that doesn't evaporate or get gunky. Works good on bearings or anywhere you've got metal moving against metal.

It's like the consistency of cake frosting.. you just kind of slather it on where you want it. It wont run like oil does... a nice feature if you're working around electronics. [​IMG]

9. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

thank you