My Proposed Setup....LOOK!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArthurJ, Jan 29, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Hey guys,
    well after months and months of demoing and contimplating I have come to the final decision to go with the following equipment....Beleive it or not this is going in an Apartment, I am quite excited...

Harman Kardon AVR525
    Paradigm Studio 60 (Front)
    Paradigm Studio CC
    Paradigm Studio 20 (Rear)
    Paradigm Servo-15

They will all be finished in wood veneer Light Cherry...I was thinking of going with Rosenut but thought it MAY not go with all my other furniture and what not....I already have black leather sofas and think a black finish will be too much, what do you guys think? Anyways, any critisism is welcome...ALSO, I was thinking about scrapping the sub considering im in an apartment....but I dont think the 60's will offer the low end extension I want.....I think I will still go with the 15 but just keep the gains down....

2. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Very nice! I have a very similar set-up: Studio 40s (front), Studio CC, and Studio 20s (rear) also all in light cherry wood veneer. My sub is an SVS 20-39 PC, though I have been looking at the servo 15 lately. . . . How much did that set you back?

Anyway, you should be very, very pleased.

My only caveat regards your receiver, which I have no experience with, but my Sony 30ES did not adequately drive my old Monitors and CC370, so I had a lot of clipping. These are apparently very power-hungry speakers, particularly the center. Since upgrading to a Parasound amp, though, I have had no problems! [​IMG] Maybe others with the HK/Paradigm combo can testify?

3. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Michael...I am from Canada so I can get very nice deals on the Paradigm equipment...The H/K reciver I am getting from J&R is $620 ($950 Canadian) shipped which is really good considering they retail for $1900 canadian at local stores...

4. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Michael..I was sondering why you picked the 40's over the 60's??? Also, you seem to know your Paradigm so I was wondering...when are they coming out with a new line? And do they usually come out with a new line of products every year or ever 5 years? Thanks...

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Should make for a killer system. Make sure you invite your neighbors over for movie nights[​IMG]. What does the Servo-15 cost in Canada?

6. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

That is one smokin' set-up you've put together, your neighbours will hate you! Go for the servo-15, a good sub adds so much to the movie experience. Let us know how the 525 performs, it is on my short list for receiver upgrades. [​IMG]

Cheers,

Steve

7. ColtonA

ColtonA Stunt Coordinator

looks killer

8. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Hey steve.....guess where im from?.....Red Deer [​IMG] anyways, yes I feel I might as well spend the little extra money off the bat and get something I wont have to upgrade for a long time then buy something I wont be happy with and be stuck with it until I can afford an upgrade which in the end would cost allot more...As for the Servo-15 price...its the only piece of equipment I have not priced out yet....but I will soon and let you guys know...thanks for the comments and keep them coming...

9. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

My thoughts - .02 cents worth:

Excellent setup

The Harman 525 should drive them just fine, and because you're in an apartment, you won't or shouldn't be listening at top levels.

If I were you, I would hold off on the Servo15 even though it is a fantastic sub. Just how much will you be able to enjoy the sub in an apartment? I'm guessing you have common walls, and/or someone above or below you. If that's the case, then your neighbors will get to enjoy it too (or not). If you have the budget, or if you're getting a better deal with the Servo included, then go ahead and get it. But have mercy on your neighbors!

10. ColtonA

Mikey....my exact thoughts...

11. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

I think the light wood finish on your speakers and surround furniture and some black sofas will look exceptional. i've seen furniture done like this before and i hope to do my own space like that soon.

12. ColtonA

i agree!

13. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Arthur, hello neighbour! I think the servo-15 will run you around $1300 Canuck Bucks if you get a deal, others have got it for near $1200 I think. I have an SVS 20-39PC with the ISD and really enjoy it, it cost about the same after taxes, brokerage, shipping etc. My most recent purchase was some Dahlquist Qx9's 2 1/2 way towers(2 pair)and the Qx60c center. The towers are in a light cherry finish and they look fantastic. Much higher acceptance with the fiance. Happy listening.

Cheers,

Steve

14. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Steve, thats pretty expensive considering I wont make full use of the sub...maybe I should just step down a notch for the sub...but then again...I dunno...lol...btw, nice sig...Dumb & Dumber is my fav comedy of all time...[​IMG]

15. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

You won't necessarily need the Servo-15 (btw, I'll second, third, or fourth the recommendation as this is a great sub), since most likely you're not going to listen at ref levels but would recommend at least getting a quality sub so it can be positioned to get the best you possibly can get.

16. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

is it a physically big enclosure?

17. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

Great setup! I've got the 525 powering my system.
    You're going to love it!

Cheers,
    Chris

18. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Can i show off my system too?

19. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

20. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Does anyone have pics of the different veneers? Do they make one that looks simular to oak at all? thanks!