My projector short list

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Lee Distad, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

And it is a very short list. I just wanted to solicit opinions from owners/other dealers on their long-term satisfaction with these units. As my personal purchase decision making is limited to manufacturer's that I sell, helpful recommendations to try Infocus, BenQ, etc. aren't particularly useful here, although I appreciate the positive sentiments.

1) Yamaha LPX-510: We've got this installed on a way-too-big 147" 16x9 screen, and it looks absolutely wicked where other projectors I have displayed on this screen just don't have the pixel count or the minimal SDE to look good. 1080i ExpressVu satellite looks phenomenal, but even on plain 480p DVD the Yamaha gives a smooth, filmlike image. All that and it's probably the easiest projector to dial in after install. Me like, me like a lot!

2) Panasonic PTAE500: I've sold loads of this particular unit, and it is a nice projector for the price. It's biggest plus is it's long bulb life, and the picture is only slightly behind the LPX510. The fact that it is a thousand dollars cheaper definately keeps it in contention.

3) Hitachi PJTX100: It looks good on paper, but I'm going to have to audition one before I can really have an intelligent opinion on it. The price is certainly attractive. And for what it's worth, it's little brother, the PJTX10 is a great price point SD projector for the money, so I've had favorable experience with the Hitachi front projectors.

4) Sony VPLHS20: This is a nice unit, I've sold a few, and ProjectorCentral.com sure likes it. However the staff accomodation price is out of line with the others. Also, I spent much of my adult life working for Sony, so I'm a little prejudiced...and that's all I'm going to say.

I look forward to reading people's feedback.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

From looking at AVSForum posts and other reviews, it seems to me that the Yamaha LPX-510 is the best projector on that list of yours. I haven't heard a single bad thing about it! The AE500 is outdated, and the HS20 has a bit of a bad rap concerning reliability (lots of complaints of the projector switching to Memory Stick input suddenly when using DVI in particular).

Is the Hitachi actually shipping now? It's an LCD right?

I haven't heard of anyone carrying the Yamaha down here in Calgary. I assume your store demos one? I'd like to know what store you work for. [​IMG]

3. Lee Distad

Hi Max,

I was just in Calgary for work last week, and our A&B Sound Cal North store has a demo, although, in truth, their room isn't as nice as ours is at Edmonton South. [​IMG]

And the last I heard from Hitachi, when they said end of July, they meant it, but that may have changed in the interim, as I've been out of town for a while.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Heh, I didn't think A&B Sound would sell projectors...woohoo for diversifying. [​IMG]

5. Lee Distad

Hey dude, that's why I got back into this business after a 2 1/2 year hiatus; the joy of doing more upscale audio/video solutions. Having to sell $199 HTiB's tarnishes the soul. [​IMG]

Not to spam myself or anything, but most of my personal trade is evolving into projection rooms, and multi-room distributed audio solutions.

Anyways, this post is veering dangerously close to advertising, so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Anybody else got any feedback on my projector list?