What's new

My power supply. Is it big enough? (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I will be updating my system with a new Asus A7V333 w/ RAID and adding another hardrive for a RAID setup. My specs will be:

Athlon XP 1700+ (maybe upgrade to 2200+)
512mb PC2100 DDRAM
1 Lite-On DVD-ROM
1 Lite-On 40X CD-RW
1 Maxtor 80gb 5400rpm ATA-100 HDD with 2 partitions
2 Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm ATA-133 HDD (for RAID)
ATI All-In-Wonder 8500DV
Creative Audigy Platinum Soundcard

I have a 350w Power supply, but will I need a bigger one for my new components?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the power supply is tapped much more when the devices are active than when they're just sitting there waiting for something to do. You can have a dozen CD-ROM drives attached, but the power supply won't really get slammed unless you try to read from all of them at once since the power needed to spin the discs is far more than when it is idle. Otherwise, they just sit there and the only power consumption is the laser which makes sure that a disc is still in there.

You don't have much more hardware than some of my systems and they're running fine on 300W supplies. I can't imagine that your configuration would tax a 350W P/S.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Do you know the wattage of the +3v and +5v rails? If the combined wattage of those two rails is about 180w or above, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks