What's new

My Pop Life with Prince (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, I've been really getting into Prince lately. I generally don't listen to pop music, but something about Prince is so infectious. The musicianship is always strong, the grooves can be as funky as P-Funk, and the lyrics are just so absurd and filthy that I can't help but sing along. Even the cheesy ballads are entertaining.

My most recent purchase that I'm currently listening to is Around the Word In A Day. The only tune I knew before hearing it was Raspberry Beret. This album is a mixed bag, as is all of his pre-NPG material that I've heard. Paisley Park is a really fun song, a new favorite; Pop Life should have been a #1 single, The Ladder is a sweet vocal exercise, and Temptation is one of his crazy musical mish-mashes. The rest of the album I could live without, but overall, more good than bad.

I also have the essential 1999 and Purple Rain albums. Sometimes, they get a little too heavy with the synths for my tastes. But I liked 1999 more than I thought I would, considering the time it was made, the style of music, and the sheer length of the album.

However, I much prefer his stuff with the New Power Generation. The two albums I own are New Power Soul, a George Clinton style funk album that I'm going to play at my next party, and Diamonds and Pearls, which is the best Prince album I've heard. D&P has it all- strong melodies, great groove, and a much more natural sound than the Revolution stuff.

I also have The Gold Experience, which is an underrated album and my 2nd favorite so far. Too bad the whole symbol fiasco made him lose face to the public, because the AFKAP made some of his best music then.

My next Prince purchase will probably be Sign Of the Times, and I'm also interested to hear Emancipation.

I don't know how far I'll go with my Prince collection, yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Mike - I recommended a long time ago that you should check out "The Rainbow Children".

Once you get passed the corny voice that intros most of the songs, I think you'll find a few gems and some great guitar work.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think 1999 is still my favorite Prince album followed by Purple Rain. Favorite track is Automatic. Around The World is a good album, very underrated. I remember getting it on wax the week it came out. Pop Life is a great song. I'm still building my Prince CD collection since I have most of his stuff on wax, including a lot of 12 inches and the German extended version of Little Red Corvette which is very cool. He released a bunch of material as 12 inch singles that didn't appear too many other places.

I'd recommend the Batman soundtrack, which essentially is a Prince album and a good one at that.

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
"Parade" is pretty good. Girls & Boys and Anotherloverholenyohead are great tracks, and Kiss of course. The "Emancipation" (1996) and "Crystal Ball" (1999)cds are good, more "recent" material. Of the two, I like Emancipation better.

The recently released "One Night Alone" live box set is OK. Some good jams, but he resorts to only playing snippets of some great songs instead of the whole thing (Starfish & Coffee, Sometimes It Snows In April). Snippets are OK for the "classics" he may be sick of playing (i.e. Purple Rain), but not these great tunes.

"Sign Of The Times" is a classic with many of my favorite tracks (Starfish & Coffee, Hot Thing, Beautiful Night, Adore...).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I strongly reccommend DIRTY MIND from the early 80's. It has the totally infectious rocker WHEN YOU WERE MINE that could of been a big hit except for the lyrics, I suppose. It has the funky PARTY UP and the nasty little punk rock ditty SISTER. It's the album that put him on the map. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
one of my all-time fave (get your groove on) songs: "cream". :D

i was never a big fan of prince when he first came out...i was too childish to accept any other genre. but now when i listen to his stuff, i realize just how great he really was (is?). i missed out during his prime.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
It's overlooked but Prince is a pretty damn good guitar player. I'd like to hear him do an album where he really explores that capability.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

The guy's a great guitarist.

I saw him live last year and was blown away by that show. He ripped it up on guitar and keyboards and Maceo Parker was in the band as well. Lots of jazz and funk.

Great show. :emoji_thumbsup:

cwhite

Second Unit
If you need only one Prince album, DIRTY MIND is the one to get. It sets the stage for 1999 and Purple Rain. Bear in mind, Prince has a extensive outtakes catalog and I would recommend CRYSTAL BALL(or THE BLACK ALBUM) for that. And finally, you owe to yourself to search out for EROTIC CITY on CD in its full length.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I never tire of Purple Rain and 1999. Never. :)

If you like Prince, check out The Time. The influence is obvious. Ice Cream Castle is a great album. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mike - I recommended a long time ago that you should check out "The Rainbow Children".
Sorry I don't remember that. My musical tastes and interests change so much that I may not have cared then, but I do now.

I just looked it up on allmusic.com and they say the lyrics are all about his religious (Jehovah's Witness) feelings. I won't mind if the music is good, but I admit that part of Prince's attraction is that his lyrics are mainly about sex.

I may check it out after I get some of his bigger albums first.

I certainly do want to get Dirty Mind, as well as the follow up, Controversy.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
When I got the Controversy album it came with a huge poster of Prince in a shower with some (I think) purple briefs on. Now I like Prince, but I had to give that poster to a female Prince fan at my school 'cause it wasn't going up on my wall. I did however put the small poster which featured Prince and the Revolution that came with the Purple Rain album up on my wall.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Been listening to Prince for years, but his last few albums have really left me dry. Although the NPG was a great band, I felt they never really put out a real strong album.

My faves:
Dirty Mind
Controversy
Sign O the Times

I did pick up Rainbow Children and I tell you . . . I have been waiting for the Prince "jazz" album to materialize for years; he's always hinted at his ability to play it. And musically this album is really great, but LYRICALLY it is so filled with his paranoid Jehovah Witness rants that I just can't listen to it. I've never minded his religious songs before, but this is going a little bit left of . . . mmm, can't think of a good example right now. Anyway, Prince is always extreme, though. I do admire him for that. If not extreme left, them extreme right.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Some of the music and guitar work on this album is way too good to let the lyrics get in the way.

I know the words ain't as good as "Sexy MoFo shakin' dat ass" but oh well.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I know it makes me look immature to say I prefer the dirty lyrics, but Prince is about image and style as well as music.

Anyway, like I said, I'll check out Rainbow Children after getting some of the other stuff. Sign of the Times is next on my list.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Controversy through Lovesexy are all worthwhile (although on Lovesexy he's starting to get way too self-indulgent, but it has good songs nonetheless). After that, it's downhill.

I wish someone would release a Best Of that just covered the post-Lovesexy stuff. I like a few songs here and there, but I would never sit through any of those albums.

Oh, and let me echo what others have said about searching out the 12" singles. He's done some great mixes and B-sides. There's a 22-minute version of "America" that's surprisingly listenable.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, I'll certainly get into his earlier material, but I'm finding his later stuff to be more enjoyable, particularly Diamonds and Pearls and the Gold Experience.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I sure wish WB would re-master Prince's catalogue. I wonder if "The Rift" (There’s a good potential Prince album title for U.) is still deep and holding back any updated re-masters, multi-channel mixes, or new transfers of his films.

I suppose WB needs His Royal Badness’ permission, which he probably aint gonna give???

Too bad. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks