My Polk R50 towers SOUND AMAZING

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Lev-S, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

No they don't.

So please offer me some alternatives in the name of Paradigm, Polk, Infinity, JBL, or that other Canadian company that makes speakers (starts with A?) to audition. Really looking forward to ditching the "flower towers" and buying some better speakers.
    A quad set of bookshelves would also be ideal.

2. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

You're thinking of Athena from Canada, they are pretty darn good for the money, I'm conidering them as well for new speaker replacements for my KG3 Klipsch speakers.

See their web site it has lot of information. What kind of receiver do you have? That will be a consideration as well.

3. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

My receiver is a Harman/Kardon AVR 125. 45x5 for power.

4. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with the R30s I heard in Futile Shop myself. The R50s (which I haven't heard) are probably a little better with the extra driver, but I'm sure they sound similar.

I actually liked the Quest QT66 better than the R30s and they are pretty cheap. The R30s were a Boxing Day "door-crasher" at Futile Shop having limited number of pairs at $200 CDN/pair (half price). However I went on the 27th to one location and they had like 12 pairs left at the $200 price (no one bought them!). Probably the only "door-crasher" people didn't buy out in the first 30mins of opening on the 26th!

Anyhow the Quests aren't anything special either--I'm returning the set I bought, even though they were very cheap ($150 from $250 reg.); and for the money they weren't bad.

The RTi from Polk are supposed to be their higher line I believe you might want to check those out if you are a Polk fan...

I'd recommed stuff from Athena or JBL or Paradigm though--if you visit any of those websites you'll find all of their current gear listed. Futile Shop sells the former two and you can check out some of their bookshelves on their site. Paradigm you can find at HiFi 2000 among a few other places.

I dunno what price range you're looking at but in the not too costly end, from JBL there are the E20, E30 and N28IIs. Athena has the ASB1 and ASB2 bookshelves in their Audition line. These are all between $200-$300 CDN/pair I think.

From Paradigm you could check out the Titan and Focus (from the Performance line) and if you are looking into a bit of a higher price range, perhaps the Mini Monitor and Monitor 3 from their Monitor line.

Well that's my $0.02!

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I'm surprised no one's mentioned PSB. I think you should audition between the Paradigm and the B&W to figure out whether you like more forward sounding speakers (Paradigm) or more laid back type B&W - and then we can better direct some recommendations.

7. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Axiom! That was the one I was thinking about. I work at "Futile Shop" and get a discount on the above brands. All of the Athena, JBL, Infinity bookshelves have a more limited frequency range. Hmmm....

BTW, please define "direct" and "laid" back speakers.

8. Ernest Yee

direct, forward, bright, revealing - are all speakers that have a lot of clarity but some consider this to also be fatiguing.

laid back, warm - are all speakers that have a more mellow sound to them, the drawback to this is that some would consider their lack of clarity to be a muddy non revealing sound.

Sorry if the explanation is a bit awkward but when you're trying to define something that's subjective, all you can offer as an explanation is a bunch of other subjective terms. You'll see as you audition more speakers and gain more experience in HT in general.

9. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Axiom is Canadian? Just curious--what Futile Shop do you work at? Also do you know if those Athena AS-F1s were on sale on Boxing Day for $300? The website says $399 right now but I think they might have been less on the 26th... Do you know if they were? If I had known they were sold in pairs and not single speakers (another forum member who works at FS just told me they were pair prices) I would have bought them...

Anyhow bookshelves are almost always limited in the lower-end no matter what. You can't really expect them to give the extension a comparable tower speaker would. I'm sure there are some bookshelves capable of better extension than normal but for the most part with the smaller speaker you're usually giving up something... Surely you could go with other brands but it would be a lot cheaper going with the ones at FS, because of your discount, right?

10. Ernest Yee

Oh yeah - the additional confusing aspect is that you can mate your speakers with a processor which will counteract some of the speakers sonic characteristics. Usually people will consider this to be "taming" the speaker.

11. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

I like the sound of warm. I think I'll go and try out some B&W as suggested. I'll report back here ASAP.

12. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I would consider the polk RTI series if you can get a discount on them. My dad just bought a pair of RTI70 that sounds really good. I've audition the new RTI series from polk and they sound even cleaner.

13. Brad Russell

Brad Russell Stunt Coordinator

Just to clarify Polk R series = low end RTi= Mid LSi = High end of polks line up.

Brad

14. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Lev-S,

Just for kicks what is it about the R50's you don't like? Also have you broken them in yet? Thx.

15. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

I have had these speakers for a year + so they are broken in. I just don't feel they are as detailed as they could be.

16. Ernest Yee

Yeah - I used to own R30s and they were definitely a lot muddier than my current Paradigm Studios. Even compared to the Monitors that I owned.

17. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

I just found out that the JBL E30s are going clearance for $229.99 Canadian!!! I can get 2 pairs and make a quad system! One question still stands:

Opinions on JBL E30s vs. Polk R50s.

Any thoughts and/or experiences?