What's new

MY player will not play DVD Audio discs at all. (1 Viewer)

Jason Bosch

Agent
Hey everyone. I just picked up the JVC XV-95GD I believe is the number. I'm very happy with it so far, fantastic picture and sound quality from what i've seen. My only problem is it is DVD-A compatable and it came with 2 sample discs. But I cannot get any sound out of them. The onscreen pictures will show up, but no sound at all. My current reciever isn't DVD-A ready per say haower I think it should at least play them in stereo. Anyone have any ideas on how to get them to work? I just have it hooked up via an optical digital cable and the 2 main channel rcas. Any help would be great. Thanks.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Not sure but it may be your reciever can't handle bandwidth,try dd or dts selection on dvd-a disc to see if it works.Also double check connections,inputs,dvd set up.You may already know but dvd-a cannot pass through digital connection.Good Luck

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The only way to get audio out of a DVD-A disc without using the player's 6 analog audio outputs is to do what Curtis suggested: go into the options on the menu and select the DD audio track (that should be on any DVD-A disc) which should send the bits through the optical audio output, and it should downconvert a multi-channel DD audio stream into 2 channels and pass it through the 2-channel analog audio output from the player.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The only way to get audio out of a DVD-A disc without using the player's 6 analog audio outputs is to do what Curtis suggested: go into the options on the menu and select the DD audio track (that should be on any DVD-A disc) which should send the bits through the optical audio output, and it should downconvert a multi-channel DD audio stream into 2 channels and pass it through the 2-channel analog audio output from the player.
Not sure about that.

You need to hook the L/R stereo RCA jacks to your receiver. You must be sure to select ANALOG not DIGITAL on the receiver for the input you are using. You should then hear the very nice high resolution stereo (or 5.1 mix-down if possible).

If the input is selected to DIGITAL there may be a problem. I'm not sure about that specific unit. If you want to hear DD or DTS tracks you'll probably need to switch the player to "DVD-Video" mode. How to do that is player specific.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, I was making *some* assumptions in the interconnections. I think the main obstacle with Jason's problem is not having a receiver that can accept 5.1 inputs that true DVD-A requires for playback. The other alternatives are all "less than optimal" playback options (actually pretty good, not bad alternatives).

Jason Bosch

Agent
Thanks very much everyone. I will play around with it and try all the stuff you told me to try when i get home from work. I'll let ya'll know how it comes out.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Depending on the player, you may need to connect the main channels from the 5.1 connection on the player, not the separate L/R connections. Its possible DVD-A only goes out the 5.1 connection and nothing is sent out the stand alone stereo connection for DVD-A. Then you also need to get into the player's setup and tell it you have large main speakers and nothing else. Then hopefully it will force DVD-A discs to play the stereo tracks or downconvert them.

On the receiver side you'll need to manually select the analog inputs like Philip suggested. If you have an unused input on your receiver, like a Tape 2 or something, you could connect the DVD-A player's analog connection to that, then when watching DVDs you set the receiver to DVD, but when listening to DVD-A or CD, you set the receiver to Tape 2. That might be the preferred method depending on how you select inputs on your receiver.

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
The only way to get audio out of a DVD-A disc without using the player's 6 analog audio outputs is to do what Curtis suggested: go into the options on the menu and select the DD audio track (that should be on any DVD-A disc)
Red flag! On many DVD-A players (my RP-91K included) you CANNOT access the DD or DTS tracks at all! For example, I no longer have the ability to use the 5.1 analog outputs of the player. I still have several DVD-A discs that I cannot play at all (Metallica, Fleetwood Mac) because the player won't "see" the DD tracks because it assumes you can access the hi-rez tracks. More info on this is described Link Removed The problem is described in section #9.
I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I have a Panny RP-91 and face the same problem, but I also have another DVD player, so I use that one if I'm really want to listen to the DD tracks (which isn't all that high a priority for my setup, but I am sympathetic to those without 5.1 inputs in their setups).

Jason Bosch

Agent
I'll definently try that first Kieth. That makes sense to me. I have 1 more question regarding hooking up that part of my player. The reciever I ma currently using is a couple year old RCA. It has DD but not DTS. However I looked on the back of it and it has 5.1 inputs. More likely for an outboard DTS decoder than for DVD-A. I tried connecting with that and I still got absolutly no sound. I changed it from DVD to the DVD 6channel optical input I think it's called and still nothing. Any ideas there? Or will that connection probably just not work? Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well Jason I just don't know what to think. You've got the analog connections, so they should work. I'm beginning to suspect you've got something wrong in the player's setup and have somehow shut that off. I'd read your manuals for the receiver and player and see what you can come up with. The signal coming out of the 5.1 connections is just analog. Your receiver should handle it. Now there could be a loss in quality if the receiver's bandwidth isn't great enough or if it converts it to digital before going to the amps, but it should still receive it and play the signal.

I wonder if you're not putting the receiver in the right mode though. The optical input is the digital connection, and has nothing to do with the 5.1 inputs. You should examine that more closely.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you have the 5.1 inputs, then you have to also select the 5.1 input on the receiver as the "input" source so that the receiver knows to pass through the audio from the 5.1 input stage to the amps.

Jason Bosch

Agent
Yeah I know they say that on the JVC site. I do't know why because it has DVD-Audio/DVD-Video stamped on the front of the tray, and it has the outputs for it + it came with 2 sampler discs. I think i'm going to go buy a actual recording in that format and see if that will play though.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
The fourth bullet on the link sure does claim DVD Audio.

Jason, you say you have 2 sample discs so they should work. You need to look closely at the audio menu's for the DVD player and enable the 5.1 analog audio output. As long as you have the 6 RCA cables connected to the 6 channel input on the receiver, you shouldn't need to tell the receiver anything. Just switch to the 6 chan bypass input. You also need the video to help navigate the DVD-Audio menu but usually just pressing play twice will force the player to start playing. Hope this help.

Jason Bosch

Agent
LoL I'm a moron. It's always the simpliest answer usually. I just mistook the dvd/Optical input with the seperate 6-channel input. Which was this tiny little unnoticable button. But once I did that it worked good, but I had to turn off all compression and downmixing in the DVD players menus to get surround sound from it. Sorry for posting this when all I really had to do was troubleshoot more. Thank you all for the help. BTW if anyone is looking for a relativly cheap DVD player with all the features except SACD and I belive bass management on the DVD Audio. This thing is great. It changes discs pretty quick, has a cool as hell zoom feature.... up to 1024X which you can move all over the screen. Picture and sound quality are great. It has a ok remote. And I can't even hear the machine itself when it's on. Only drawback to me is the gold color. But that's pretty easy for me to live with as this is a great player and I didn't have to spend the $500 right now to get the other few features I wanted from the Pioneer Elite 45. For my next one I'm gunna wait till at least next year when they iron out some of the bugs in some players right now. Thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks