My Plan For my Home Theater......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Stone, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Ryan Stone

Ryan Stone Auditioning

Apr 8, 2002
    Well this is what i think i am going to go with.

JBL NSP1 speaker set

JBL Power Base 12" subwoofer

Denon 3802 Reciver

And 2 bookshelf speakers(havnt decided what brand)for the room next to my HT.

I have a 61" Hitachi HDTV

I have a DVD player

What do you think??? Any suggestions???
  2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Feb 25, 1999
    My one suggestion would be to spend less on the receiver and more on the speakers. It looks like you are planning to spend around $1500 on a receiver and speakers. For the money I'd suggest getting a Denon 1802 and an HTD Level III y speaker package. IMHO it always makes more sense to spend your money on speakers rather than amplification. As long as the speakers present a "friendly" load to the amp and are relatively efficient (not a problem these days, look for speakers rated at 8 ohms) most receivers should be able to drive them to adequate levels. Big rooms, inefficient speakers, ugly load characteristics -- usually defined as 4 ohms or an electrostatic -- require a bigger amp, but the difference between 80 watts and 100 watts will barely be noticable in most situations. Better speakers will always be noticable, however.
  3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Feb 1, 2002
    The denon would be an investment for 7.1 though and has 110wpc for the $500 more.

If you want that receiver, you could then slowly add speakers to it. If you would like to hear more potential from the Denon I'd get JBL's studio series:

Studio S-center $150

S38 front $280

S26 surround $175

S120Pii $450

S26 back $175

But that might be way out of budget, but personally I like the slow approach for home theater cause it makes me appreciate each speaker and component.

For your budget bookshelfs maybe consider Diva 2.1, Axiom M22, or Infinity IL10.

If you decide to go with the NSP1 then I would buy a cheap 5.1 integrated receiver. ($400 or less)