What's new

My Pioneer DVD Player died...need an interim player until HD/BR (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I'm not quite ready to take the BR/HD plunge yet, but my trusty Pioneer died yesterday. I'm basically looking for an inexpensive replacement (preferably Pioneer) that will function with my 27" Sony. No upconversion, HDMI, etc. needed. Just some S-Video, digital outs, and a good image. DVD-A or SACD would be a plus, but not necessary. I haven't been in the market for a DVD player in so long, I really don't know what is out there for my needs. Thanks for the help.

AJG

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
A DVD player will only last you a couple more years before the format war is over. I wouldn't spend to much. Sony has some descent cheaper players as does Panasonic.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I hear it is a good budget player. How much is it? I don't personally have any experiance with it.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Just bought an Oppo 970 and am pretty impressed...price to performance wise. It works as advertised and quite well with all the formats I've tried. The PQ over component is really good so I'd imagine S-video output would be pretty good as well. For $150 bucks it can't be beat....IMO. DVD-A and SACD aren't quite as good (really darn close though) as the Denon 2900 it replaced, but it does the job. Not sure now if I'll even bother hooking the Denon back into my system when it returns from the repair shop....the Oppo might hold me over until the format wars subside.

Mort

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If cheap and temporary is what you’re looking for, go to a pawn shop. Or maybe try to eBay another one of your Pioneers, since you were really happy with it..

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

What are your thoughts about the Oppo 970 vs the Denon 2900 for 480p component video quality? While the Oppo is quite good for the money, I found the 2900 to be somewhat better. Of course, it's unfair in a sense to compare since these players are at different price ranges.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

I agree.....but it's pretty darn close. Since the Denon has had to be returned for the second time for the same problem (disk tray won't open) it makes me question whether the price-performance really gives the Denon any edge at all. I expect the Oppo to die within a year or two....I sure dind't expect a $1000 Denon to give up the ghost in that time frame. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Mort

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I just bought a three year old 2900 from a guy. The player is in great shape, but he admitted he used it an awful lot.

While I like the player, the more I think about, I may just sell it off because I'm not sure how much life it has left and I don't want to put any money into the player. People are buying these players fast I think because of the audio abilities. I figure I can get what I paid for it.

I did demo a Denon 2930ci last weekend. Very nice player. I expect it to be a couple of years before I jump into an HD format. However, the 2930ci is not cheap and the Oppo is no slouch.

Decisions, decisions. :)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Well, after loosing out on a Sony DVP-S7700 on ebay (tear) I ended up with an open item Samsung DVD-HD860 from Best Buy. So far, I like it but two things perturb me: I can't get rid of the angle logo on my Tomorrow Never Dies DVD when the multi angle comes up, and I don't like the picture quality adjustments within the player. I have 30 days if I want to take it back...any thoughts?

AJG

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I had problems with the samsung HD850 upconversion dvd player.. it was much too dark and the it had a problem with the sound with the hdmi.. so I ended up taking it back.
you could try the RCA drc257n from wal-mart.. certainly has better picture.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks