My Pioneer DV-563A Doesn't Display 5.1 Ch.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robert Powers, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer DV-563A DVD player connected to a Pioneer VSX-D908S receiver. I have the 5.1 ch connections from the DVD player to the external decoder 5.1 ch connections of the receiver. When I play 5.1 ch sources if I hit the "Audio" button on the DVD player remote it says that it is playing in 2.1 channels.

My speaker setup consists of "Polk Audio RM7200 with PSW550 sub". I connected the sub the way Polk suggested which it did give the best sound. Sub connected from left and right front preouts of receiver to the left and right line in connections of the sub.

I tried connecting the sub from the subout of the receiver to the LFE of the sub but the sub didn't deliver any bass. I did not try using a Y-cable to connect from the subout of receiver to left and right line in of sub but I didn't see any use since it sounds good the way I have it connected.

I have these settings for both the receiver and DVD player:

Front Speakers: Large
    Center and Sats: Small
    Sub: No

I tried other settings such as all speakers to small and sub to yes but it didn't sound good and the DVD remote still displayed the 2.1 ch.

I have the 5.1 ch selected under the audio options. The only thing that I have noticed unusual was that the "Trusurround" selection is selected and it is greyed out to where it can't be changed.

When I play DTS 5.1 channel movies such as "Pearl Harbor" if I hit the "Audio" button on the remote it displays:

"Trusurrond DTS 3/2.1 Ch"

When I play DVD-Audio I push the external decoder button on the receiver and the receiver displays 5.1 but the DVD player displays"

"PPCM 96kHZ 24 Bit/ 2.1 Ch".

It sounds like it is actually playing in 5.1 ch but I don't understand why the DVD player doesn't display it. Also I don't understand why the DVD player doesn't allow me to turn off the "Trusurrond" option.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you,
    Robert

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Robert, I'm not familiar with your particular receiver but on my Yamaha 1400, it has a button for multi-channel inputs which is used when listening to something conncected to the 6 analog inputs you described. I'm wondering if your Pioneer does as well.

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Do you have a digital connection connected up as well? You might want to disconnect your digital output so that you will only hear something if it is coming from the 5.1 analog-out from the DVD-player. Then try every output setting you can find on the DVD-player. This might help you to narrow in on the problem.

4. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

My 563a has the analog output setup for sacd/dvd-a and the digital coax for dvd/dts. I've never had any problem with the surround sound - i know it works if I leave my receiver on [6-ch direct] and forget to switch to [dvd]. Although I've never paid much attention to what the pioneer player claims at that time.

5. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

Last night I played around with the DVD settings and tried out of couple of DVD-Audio discs in the DVD-Video setting and noticed that it played only in Dolby Digital but when I switched back to DVD-Audio setting and turned off all of the digital connections it only played when I switched the external decoder switch on the receiver to 5.1 ch which I assume is the proper way it is supposed to work.

Even though it was playing in 5.1 channel when I hit the "Audio" button on the DVD remote it still says that it is playing in 2 ch but I think it is actually playing in 5.1 but I don't know why the DVD player thinks otherwise. I wonder if anyone else who has a Pioneer DV-563A DVD player has seem this same problem.

I did hear a difference between the Dolby Digital and the DVD-Audio. The Dolby Digital played louder but with less clarity than the DVD-Audio. On the DVD-Audio the surround speakers were more detailed on the musical tones.

Thanks!
    Robert