What's new

My pc has no video out... (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
.., but can I still hook it up to my tv (Samsung HD)?

That's basically my question. I'm not sure if it's possible or if it's simply a cable purchase that needs to be made.

Thanks for any help.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
You either have to do that, or you can get a VGA-NTSC converter. That's a little more expensive than just getting a card with a composite/s-video output (depending on how nice a card you get.)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
No, no, no! This isn't want you would want to do, at all.
Using a program called powerstrip you can set the video card to output at the correct scanrate to work at 480p or 1080i. You will most likely need a transcoder to convert the RGB+Sync output of VGA to the component input on your TV (unless the TV has a VGA input, in which case you're all set.)
You'll get fantastic quality going this route, though it's a little more difficult to setup, and some video cards work better than others (the ATI Radeons are often used, these days) for this purpose.
Converting it to NTS and sending it via composite for S-Video would be a very poor solution for you.
The transcoder will cost around $200 or so, and powerstrip costs about $15, but you can get a demo of it for free. Go to www.avsforum.com and search through their HTPC forum for lots more info than I can provide you with.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, fellas. I appreciate it. I was hoping for a cheap solution. :)
I was also planning on buying a new pc next year... possibly. I may just wait until then to get a card capable.
Thanks again.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Adam,

using the s-video/composite output of a video card to connect to your HDTV is, quite simply, a complete waste. You can get a VGA->Component video transcoder for as little as $40 on ebay (an RCA model, which is only really good for 480p). the difference between 480p via the VGA output of your video card and the 480i output of a video card's s-vid/composite out is night and day

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks