What's new

My pb2+ is showing up tomorrow and have a couple of questions. (1 Viewer)

charlie o

Stunt Coordinator
Do the ports have to face the rear/wall? Can I turn it side ways? Would it be a bad idea to put our avr3803 on top of it until we get a a/v rack?

Neal_C

Second Unit
Hey Charlie,

Glad to hear you are getting your SVS tomorrow :)

I don't think it matters which way the ports are facing, I would just try different locations and see what sounds better.

Since you were over to demo, I have taken the baseplate off of my PB2+ and turned it so the ports are facing up and the drivers are showing. The wife and I think it sounds better in the room and we like the look :)

I wouldn't think your Denon would fall off of it, but I would try to have it up there as little time as possible.

And enjoy ,

Neal

charlie o

Stunt Coordinator
I need the drivers hidden. My boy would tear them up. Found some hotwheels in the ports of my towers today.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I wouldn't worry about the ports. Once you turn that puppy on any Hot Wheels, etc. will come shooting out like a bullet out of a gun. I would just be worried about the damage a flying Hot Wheel would make in your room. :)

Parker

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, those ports are big enough to easily swallow a hot wheel, at which point it would disappear into the sub, never to be seen again. It might fall into a driver and damage it, or at the least possibly rattle around in there.

If you have little ones, I advise ports facing to the rear, preferably at the most inaccessible/inconvenient angle for a child.

BTW, that finish on the PB2+ is not only hot looking, but damn near bulletproof. I don't think the kids will be able to ruin it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ed

Neal_C

Second Unit
Maybe if you want to have the ports facing somewhere other than the wall and hidden, you could just call SVS and ask for another port plug, so you would have three of them. When you aren't using the sub, put all the port plugs in and the little one won't have any access.

Just a thought.

Neal

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have had a PB2+ for about 6 months now. I don't recommend putting a receiver on it at all. Too much vibration at times and there are sensitive resisters and boards that believe it or not have crappy solder joints on them. I have a very expensive Yamaha receiver thats old (5) years or so and in a rack that ocassionally looses the right channel. I get the thing out and take it for a ride to the repair shop and they never can find the problem. Done this 3 times. By the way its a pane as I have an entertainment center that takes me like 4 hours to hook the thing back up with mirrors and stuff. I have a new Dennon I am going to start using. But you would be surprised at how much ratteling or rumbling that sub does. I had to move my progressive DVD player to the oposite side of my entertainemnt center as even it when getting a good LFE hit would go nuts in progressive mode. Since I moved it further from the PB2+ no problems. Great sub by the way... I spent twice as much on dual NHT's and this thing kicks their butt not alittle but big time. I am an SVS believer now!

charlie o

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to turn it sideways between my big screen and my left tower. I think it would look better so it doesnt stick 10" farther out than our tv. Im not that worried about the hotwheels. He is learning not to touch daddy's stuff.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Hopefully you have a good amount of space so the magnets don't screw with your picture, like it did with mine. I put mine verical, ports firing up to get it to fit where I wanted without messing with the tv. Hit the little house icon in the toolbar on my post to see.

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator

Even with good joints, you don't want to keep all of your components as vibration free as possible for best sound.

From Robert Harley's book The Complete Guide to High End Audio:

"The sound qualities of digital products are also degraded by vibrations. The crystal oscillators in many transports and digital processors change their frequencies slightly when vibrated. Although this frequency shift is slight, even small timing variations can wreak havoc in digital audio systems."

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

The humor taken appropriately, I feel a need to add that I would be VERY concerned about a HotWheels in a 2+. Without having seen the interior of the sub, I would be dreadfully afraid that the thing would rattle down behind a driver and screw up the speaker excusion at some self-destructive bass hit - sneaking between the driver and the heat sink - maybe creating real damage as a result. That, and the mysterious rattles you might get.

Having seen the little branches of the spider plant on the top of my 2+ shaking around (this thing is in a 2.5 gallon clay pot too) I would really double think any placement of electonics on it - minimum time possible - couldn't possibly be a GOOD thing for an AVR.

Congrats on the purchase!

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

So THAT'S what they look like! The drivers. Cool. So how's the sound? Anyone else having fun without the bass plate? How did it affect directionality/dispersion? Hadn't thought about going this route before. Advantages and disadvantages?

Sorry, perhaps this is a new thread... perhaps not...

Neal_C

Second Unit
I turned my PB2+ upright with the drivers facing out and the ports up. It helped a little in my battle with some humps in the room and it looks pretty cool.

Neal

WayneO

Supporting Actor
The only so-called disadvantage was a loss of about 2dB compared to firing the ports at the wall from about 4". Since I couldn't orient it that way because of the magnets messing with the tv, I didn't do any listening tests, just some measurements. No biggie because the output is more than enough either way. I would almost think it better with the ports firing up so there is less resonance with the walls to muddy the sound up? I also tried various orientations of the sub in that spot to check frequency response, but it didn't change the one dip I have. I also measured it against the wall on the right about 5' from the front speakers with a window on the right side, same frequency response, but some more loss of SPL. In my room position doesn't seem to affect frequency response at all.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I tried mine sideways facing out and also facing the woofs at the wall. I wound up putting the plate back on and going the way it is supposed to be. It sounds the best this way and you dont have to worry about one hurting one of the drivers. I am one that likes my speaker grills on in case of company over they dont get touched that way. Anyway I noticed not much of a difference in sound or quality of sound. I think when Ron and the boys at SVS build these things they kind of know what is best and best to leave it that way.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Just a quick note that SVS feels that orientating the sub with the ports up is completely acceptable to them and they were going to make a grill for this specific application, they haven't had the time so it's on the back burner.

Neal_C

Second Unit
So Charlie,

Did you get the SVS in? Get it set up? How are you liking it? Any pictures?

Neal

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Wayne.. you are correct and they may have the grills in already, I have not checked as I first did as I went back to the original way.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Wayne,

The grills for the PB2-Plus and PB2-ISD were put on hold till we caught up to demand on the basic units. So far it hasn't happened, but we've not killed the project either.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.