My Parents are Buying a TV...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Doe, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Jesse Doe

Jesse Doe Auditioning

Hi Guys,

The grand day has arrived...my parents are buying a new TV and DVD player!

I'd love any suggestions as to a decent 3:4 direct view TV that they could get...something where the greys are decent and the reds aren't neon. (I'll try and get them set up as best I can with my Video Essentials disk, but no way I can talk them into calibrating the thing)!

We're talking about an $800 run to Best Buy here.

Thanks in advance,

Jesse

2. Jesse Doe

Jesse Doe Auditioning

No one? Is this the right forum to post this question...or should I try the beginners forum?

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Just so you dont feel left out I will post a reply.

are you looking for 800 for both the TV and DVD player?

if so i cant give you any advice on the tv, but im sure for around 500 or so you could get a nice toshiba (best bang for your buck if you ask me)

as far as a dvd player goes, you should be able to get a panasonic RP-91 for about 400-450 best buy you would ever make... but i suppose thats a little steep given your budget so i suggest looking at the RP-82 its much cheaper and technically the specs are quite good. but i personally havent seen it used... so who knows.

4. Jesse Doe

Jesse Doe Auditioning

Thanks for the reply.

Sometimes I think people here glaze over if anything other than progressive scan and plasma screens are mentioned!

5. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Well I don't know if this is a valid excuse but maybe it's cause most of the guys here never really looked into a $800 TV before so they really don't know too much about it. Rather than give you a worthless answer they chose to give you no answer at all.

To answer your question I have always liked Panasonic TVs. Toshibas are certainly good too. Go into a store and see whatever looks best. I would spend more on the TV and less on the DVD player. In fact I would probably just buy a cheap cheap dvd player and spend it all on the TV.

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

If they get a flat screen TV and a decent ($100) DVD player, they should be happy. Everything doesn't have to be state of the art to give good service.

Jan

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Usually when one posts this sort of question and mentions a budget figure, they get suggestions for stuff that can't realistically be found for less than 50% over the stated budget.

So, for $1300 one could could possibly find a number of 32" sets capable of accepting progressive scan and combine with a Panny RP-62.

But for the stated $800, one could get a nice 32" analog JVC (I like JVC for good reliable inexpensive tvs with nice pictures) for $499, a good non-progressive Panasonic or Toshiba dvd player for $150, and have $150 left over to start a dvd collection.