What's new

My pants flapped (1 Viewer)

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought that was a figure of speech. But I was sitting about four feet from my VTF-2 watching Iron Monkey at 8dB below reference, and my pant legs flapped around during one of the louder scenes. That is extremely cool.

SA

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, I experienced the next step to that feeling yesterday. It's fun.
I just finished building two subs. One for my parents and one for my roommate. Playing the Matrix helicopter explosion at 5dB under reference with the sub 3-4dB hot in a 10'x12' room (sitting about 6' from the sub). I've never heard a sub as capable as these in a room this small before. Didn't just get the pant leg flap, got the my pant legs, entire shirt and my hair flap, along with a vibrating bed :p)

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

What do you think caused you pants to flap. Did the floor shake? Chair shake? Airborne acoustic waves?

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
Try "Titan AE" it has the most unreal LFE track. It just goes on and on. Your pant leg won't be the only thing flapping.;)
Matt

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Air flow from the ports of various ported designs can go across an entire room. Check out the Aerial SW12 if you like the leaf blower effect...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If the air flow out of a port even comes remotely close to that of a leaf blower the port is way too narrow.

The port on the sub I mentioned above is on the top of the sub, just over 3' off the ground, pointed at the roof and I still got the clothing flap effect.

We represent sound as wave patterns on graphs, but really that's just a represenation of high and low air pressure over time. When the pressure differences become large enough, they can move things, like the cuff on your pants.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have definitely felt my pants flap in a THX theater before (during the Matrix actually, IIRC), and that had nothing to do with the port. Cool feeling.

--

Holadem

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Dustin,

I agree about the underporting. IMO, that's one of the big differences between a (proper) DIY ported design and most commercial ones...

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
In my car with dual tens during a bass test I get the hair moving effect. Air moves across the head board and blows on our hair.

I used to think that it's about the back massage effect but I like the hair blowing effect. I wonder what it would be like to cover a port with my ear and let her rip.

Arnel

Agent
Nice experience but what and how many subwoofers are you using?

I have definitely felt my pants flap in a THX theater before (during the Matrix actually, IIRC), and that had nothing to do with the port. Cool feeling.
I also believe that the port has nothing to do with it coz I also felt it while riding my car (close) then funky youth cars pass by me with a bassy music and I felt it.

What do you do think really causes it? Can it be reproduced by any budget sub say $400 and below?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Ain't pants-flapping just one of the greatest things ever! I get a childlike glee everytime it happens :)
In a (sort of) related story, our bass player recently got a new bass rig. Mind you, I'm playing drums so there's not a whole lot that can faze me. At our first practice with the new system, the force actually pushed me back! The blinds on the window behind me were violently, and I mean VIOLENTLY, flapping in the wind. It'll be a great thing to use live...

Ryan T

Second Unit
I have had my pants flap with my new DIY sub. It's sealed so I know it was not the port. I have a tiny room and a big sub so I can get my pants to flap with my wimpy 75 Watt amp. I can't wait till I get a better amp.

Ryan

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
My Klipsch KLF-30's with dual 12's will make my pants flap. Tomorrow when I finally get to fire up my dual Tempest sonosub I'm hoping my fillings fall out.... :D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The answer to anything moving from low frequencies is simple.
You are moving large volumes of air.. Granted it's not like
a concentrated jet from a leaf blower but you are distributing
the air. Low frequency sound travels many times further in
the open air than High Frequency and this is why you can hear
a loud car stereo 3 or 5 cars ahead of you.. Or some times
even MILES away. (Especialy on a cold night when the air is
more dense)
I can hear the trains 10 miles away on cold nights. Can't
hear them when it's warm. :)
So if you want more Low Frequency in your home theater keep
it chilled! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread