My Panny <sigh>

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tim Jin, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Hi,

Does anybody know if Panasonic offers extended warranty on their HDTV's?

I'm jinx with my PT47wx42. It's been 6 months since I bought the tv, just in time for the Super Bowl. The tv guy and I are on first name bases now, because he has been out here for the 5th time.

During the first month, my green gun needed to be replaced and ever since then, the guns has been very sensitive and the tv needed to be adjusted.

In stead of having to adjust the tv again, Steve (tv guy) went ahead and replace my two other guns, focus block, HV divider and etc. He said that he want to replace everything that could go wrong. It took 3 hours and the set looks great. The blacks look black, instead of looking like, off red, blue, green, and all colors in the rainbow.

I'm very happy with the result.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with their Panny?

Any infomation on extended warranty would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Jeff_S

Jeff_S Agent

You could try an after-market extended warranty company like Viking Warranty.

According to the website, all you need to qualify is:

To be eligible for a Viking Warranty plan a product must meet the following criteria:
    - Must have come with at least a valid 90 day parts and labor warranty from the manufacturer.
    - Must have at least 30 days remaining on the original "labor" portion of the manufacturer's warranty.

Hope that helps.

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Panasonic offers extended warranty through their Care Plan. The warranty covers 100% parts and labor, depending how much you want to extend it for.

After the manufacture 1 yr for pt47wx42:

1yr - $244.95
    2yrs - $369.95
    3yrs - $549.95

Panasonic Customer Care Plan:
    800-637-2007

I haven't decided on which plan to purchase, maybe the 2 years, but does anybody knows how much to replace a gun, $300-$500?

Thanks,
    Tim

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

If you bought your TV with a MasterCard or Visa, you may get the 1 year warranty extended for an additional year for free. My MasterCard does this.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

CRT gun replacement is usually about $1200+/- for all three crts.

Regards

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I bought mine with American Express. How does the extended warranty work with them? With any CC in that case.

7. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

you can try Circuit City or Bestbuy, if they sell the model they will sometimes give you the extended warranty even if bought elsewhere.

8. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

you can try Circuit City or Bestbuy, if they sell the model they will sometimes give you the extended warranty even if bought elsewhere.

9. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

CC and BB let you do that?

I bought mine directly from Panasonic. Most likely within 6 months, I will get the warrenty through them.

So far, the TV looks great .

10. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

You should see if Panasonic has a No-Lemon policy. I thought that they did, but I don't have any written evidence to point to. Ask your dealer (if you bought it from an authorized one) to contact Panasonic. 5 repair visits is unacceptable, especially within 6 months of purchase. Usually companies with a No Lemon policy have a set number of service visits within the first year (or warranty period) before you can ask for a replacement.

Best of luck to you!

12. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I was on hold for an hour and the result was pointless. From what the rep told me, Panasonic has no such policy. My best bet is to get the extended warranty from them.