What's new

My Panny color is wierd (1 Viewer)

Paul Z

Grip
Hey guys, from the newbie..Greetings!
Maybe someone can help with this difficult question!!!! I purchased a 53WX52 in June and right out of the box I hooked up a brand new Progresive scan jvc dvd player. Right away I noticed that all the browns,mainly hair were, for lack of better words..smeared, as if there were no detail and someone colored in the hair with a brown marker yet all other colors were perfect..it's kinda hard to explain, anyway, when the set-up guy from Boscov's came, he swore it was the dvd player so naturally I ran out and purchased a new one, different brand (Pioneer). Well, same thing, so I began my long ( didn't know at the time) voyage through the telephone kingdom with Panny's troubleshooting techs who,in turn, sent out a repair tech. He said he never saw anything like it and after advising Panasonic of the problem and 2 months of red tape, they finally released a new video board for him to replace. Well, guess what? same thing again, and since then I had digital cable installed and my hdtv channels have an aura of colored lines around objects on the right and left of the screen so the cable guy took the box off of 1080i and put it on 480p to alleviate the lines and now I get the color smearing on those cannels as well. Let me add that all this time I've had two Pioneer floor speakers on each side of the screen since day one and the cable guy says that this must be the problem and that my set must be magnetized because of it. If I watch my dvd player off of progressive scan it's mostly fine but as soon as I switch it over the smearing starts immediately. Some digital channels do it, others don't, so as you can see...I'm lost, and so is everyone else that has looked at it. Sorry for the long thread but does anyone have any explanations or advice as to what to do? I'm in the process of trying to have the set replaced but I think that will be a long journey as well since I seem to keep getting the runaround on the phone again. I'd certainly appreciate any help whatsoever. Thanks alot in advance !!!!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Posting shortly after midnight doesn't result in a plethora of responses in short order.

How, specifically, do you have the DVD player connected to the display?

Secondly, remember that not all DVDs are authored equally well, nor do all cable or satellite channels look the same (some get more bandwidth than others on different days).

By your description I cannot tell if you're saying this "smearing" occurs when you have progressive scanning enabled or not. Again, specify in detail how you have the player connected.

Paul Z

Grip
You're absolutely right, I apologize for my impatience ! I think this problem is getting the best of me. The problem began with the first dvd I watched through progressive scan,hooked through component 1. Brown hair,dark clothing,etc. look fake, there is absolutely no detail but yet everything else looks great. If I switch it back to 480i the problem mostly goes away although sometimes it's there but appears very mild. Panasonic sent a tech to my house and he decided to replace the video board. There was absolutely no change so he said that he would have the company replace the t.v. After speaking with Panasonic, they don't feel the same way. I've been just ignoring the problem and watching movies in 480i mode since. Well last week I had digital cable installed with a hdtv reciever and I noticed a few digital stations(hooked through component 2) are doing the same thing as the 480p mode of my dvd player, however, the hd stations do not have this look but they instead have red and green shadows on the left part of the screen and blue and yellow on the right. I tried adjusting the user convergence but it didn't help so thinking this may have been a feed problem from the cable company, or the box, they sent out their technician. After trying things for an hour he changed the reciever output to 480p and the lines went away determining it had to be the t.v.Whoops, out of room.Thanks alot, Paul

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Paul, on the back of that Panasonic there should be two sets of component-video inputs. One of them is for 480i sources, and the other is a wider-bandwidth connection for 480p and 1080i sources. You need to connect the prog-scan player to the wideband connection.

Presently, with the player connected to the standard 480i input, you will, for obvious reasons, improve the picture with the player's interlaced-output mode enabled. The set will then line-double the image itself.

So, reconnect the player to the wideband component-video inputs, enable its prog-scan output, and report the results.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Paul

Did Jack's advice help? Just curious if your problem is solved.

Earle

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Jack,

AFAIK, the 53wx52 has wideband inputs for both sets of component inputs -- I have the 53wx42, which is the same TV w/ a few very minor differences. Even if one set is not wideband, it should probably still handle 480p just fine.

Paul,

What component video cables are you using? Make sure they are actually component video cables of good quality and condition.

Also, are you running any of these signals through some other devices like a receiver? That could be a problem too.

_Man_

Paul Z

Grip
I have 2 sets of 5-way cables(red,green,blue, plus audio)all with gold ends, one for the dvd player and the other set from the hd cable reciever. I tried switching them but I didn't think it would help as the problem lies in both categories and it didn't, hey, I tried. I also removed the floor speakers from each side of the t.v. and after reading alot of the threads on this great site I lowered my brightness/picture level from vivid(the highest setting and where the set-up guy told me to keep it)to cinema which made the smearing alot less obvious by giving the picture a softer look. It's still there however and I'm just kind of covering it up so to speak. My hd channels look great with the reciever box set on 480p but still it's not true hd that way, I tried switching it back to 1080i today after making those changes but I still have the aura lines, and sort of wavy picture on the both ends of my screen about the last four to six inches on each side but the rest of the picture looks fabulous. To explain it another way, if the hd channel isn't broadcasting hd then instead of having straight black boxes on both sides, they are slightly curved on the inner walls and have a full outline of red and green on the left and blue and yellow on the right. If I switch the cable box back to 480p the boxes become perfectly straight vertically and the colors go away. The cable guy did try switching the hd box and using his own set of cables but it didn't change anything. Well, I'm certainly open for suggestions, and hey, thanks alot for the help so far ! Paul

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Make sure that when you did convergence, you did it once w/ 480i/480p signal and another w/ 1080i. Convergence is different between these two. And make sure you let the TV warm up for at least 30 minutes (preferably longer) before you do convergence.

Also, there is a service mode 64-pt convergence. If the Panny tech guy didn't try this, ask him to. And again, this would need to be done for both 480i/480p and 1080i separately. This could be your problem w/ 1080i signals.

Finally, are you sure you are getting the same dark color smearing on every DVD, not just some, you try in your player at 480p? If you haven't already, I suggest getting the AVIA setup disc (or maybe Digital Video Essentials) so you can use that to do basic calibration and some checking/fine tuning, instead of merely relying on watching some movie DVDs. It's very possible that the dark color smearing you get at 480p is simply a result of faulty calibration -- every TV needs to be calibrated in your viewing environment for optimal results.

_Man_

Paul Z

Grip
Thanks Man,
What you said about doing the convergence seperately makes alot of sense but I don't understand how to do this. I've tried setting it whilst I was on a 1080i channel so I could see it in the backround and the lines moved a little bit but not enough to make a difference. Do you have to set it a diferent way ? The manual isn't very informative on that point. No, not every dvd looks as bad but I'd say 80% have at least the funny brown hair look in 480p mode. The service tech didn't even try to set the user convergence when he came, he jumped right into changing the video board and even at that, he put it in un-even so that if I watch a letterboxed movie I have 2 inches of bar on top and 6 inches(or so) on the bottom, so if I watch the Yankee game, the play by play is cut off on the top. This guy might not even know about the 64 point convergence..of course, he is supposed to be an "authorized"tech :). I'm half tempted to try it myself but it is under warranty so I'm kinda hesitant. I'm just not very comfortable with this guy working on my t.v. now but I guess I don't have a choice, Panasonic sent him. I so do appreciate the suggestions !
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread