What's new

My Own Place Saga: Part II (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Okay, I know I'm probably going to get hell for this, but I don't care. This is my decision and I'm going to get my own place instead of buying a new car. I just don't see myself having to live at home for the next five years with a new car and not being able to live on my own. That's what my parents did and I don't want to do the same thing.

Anyway, I went back and reapplied at the place I lived at before. This time I can finally afford the deluxe model one bedroom apartment. The difference: Over 100 more square feet and the apartment includes a dishwasher *and* a dining area. I had to reapply; I was told since I've rented there before (BTW, I've NEVER been late or not paid rent when I was renting there) there should be no problem reapproving me.

I should know this afternoon (or in a few hours). Whoo-hoo!

It's a small price to pay for not having to live at home and regaining my freedom! ;) :D

James Edward

Supporting Actor

Definitely the right thing to do. I can't tell you the number of young people I know that do the car thing, or make other excuses not to leave home, and they are worse off for it.

When they finally DO leave, they have no real world experience, and they're 30 years old. Dealing with landlords, neighbors, and in general, just maintaining a home, tend to make people grow up a lot faster.

I drove many pieces of shit cars in my teens and twenties, but being on my own made it worthwhile. It also tends to improve your relationship with your parents, which you can't put a price tag on...

Good luck- it sounds much nicer than my first basement apartment.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Screw all that, you need a place to bring the chickas at the end of the night. You might not be a bird magnet, but having your own place that one or two times you need it keeps you from wanting to put your noggin through a wall because you live with the folks.

I don't know how people can live at home past 21, as soon as I left for college I was essentially gone for good. And I drove a crappy car for 6 years to do it, zero regrets ;)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Hehehe. Thanks, guys! I haven't received a call yet (which is a really good sign).

I'll let everyone know what happens. And I'll take pics of my new bachelor pad (complete with a nice home theater; how many bachelors can say that, eh?) once I move in. ;)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
on the other hand, I don't know why it is just North American society that dictates that because you are 18 you must leave home. Many other cultures have multiple families and generations under one roof and it works out just fine..
This may be why North America has become such a xenophobic culture in general.

Just something to chew on...;)

James Edward

Supporting Actor

That's an interesting observation, but I'll bet that in those other cultures the over 18 year old contributes to the household.
From what I see here, generally, the late teen, early adult is a leech. And has a relationship with his/her parents that is not much different than when they were 12.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Whaa-hooo!!!!

I was re-approved!! And it looks like I'll be moving in much sooner than expected (hee-hee!!!)

*does the happy dance*

Peter Burtch

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I don't quite follow how if that what you were suggesting was true it would mean we are a xenophobic society(?) Anyway, expecting all 18 year olds to leave home sounds like some sort of outdated 'white trash' mantra to me ;).

It's really hard to generalize- sometimes living at home past a certain age works, sometimes it doesn't. I just had a related discussion with a co-worker today. She's from Greece and couldn't understand why her daughter (approaching college age) would want/need to live on a U.S. college campus when her family lived nearby. I explained to her perhaps her daughter wasn't solely looking at the economics involved, but making an attempt to spread her wings a little. (The co-worker still didn't get it.) My guess is her daughter has no idea what costs are involved if mom and dad are flipping the bill.

Another example. My friend's wife moved here from Spain. Her two brothers & sister all still live at home although they're all in their late twenties/early thirties. It sounded a bit odd to me growing up here, but listening a little more about the situation it sounded more need based than anything. It's not as easy for them to be able to afford an apartment and expect any money to ever be saved in their part of Spain. She seemed to think it was at least a little easier to do that in the states. YMMV of course, since there are a lot of variables involved obviously.

-Pedro

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor

One Bachelor Right here. Got the system in the Living room and in the bedroom. Once my new house is finished I'll have a dedicated theater room in the Basement. Sorry to bust the ol' bubble there sparky

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Brian...just curious...what do apartments in OC rent for these days.

Mort (who hasn't rented for quite some time)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

I just meant that here in NA we tend to isolate ourselves a bit. We all live in single family(or single person) dwellings. We do things to avoid contact with other people (home theaters, netflix, online banking, online shopping, etc...).
Whereas in places like India, Spain, Italy or wherever, they have big families all living under one roof. They have more marketplaces where the community converges and stuff like that.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

I'm a never-married bachelor. Not only do I have a nice HT but this month I paid off the mortgage. I OWN my house. Neener neener neener...... :D

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I think it's mostly that the United States has a heavy culture of consumption. The American Dream was founded on everyone having whatever they want. So it's become ingrained into our culture that once you reach the age of consent (18) it's time to support yourself. My family has always been really close, but I will say that both my sisters and I all moved out by the time we were 20. My parents never pushed the issue, it just worked out that way. The ability to afford your own place makes the pursuit more likely in our family, I guess.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Mort wrote:

Most true (true as in those that aren't studios masquerading as one bedrooms) one bedroom apartments in OC rent for $1,000 - $1150 or more per month. Mine is costing me just under $1k/mo which is not bad considering it comes with a dishwasher, a dining area, and a much bigger living room, bedroom, and kitchen than what I had before.

Yup. This will be awesome. ;)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Different strokes.. I'm 25 and still live at home, as does my brother, both college grads. We are of asian background though so we tend to get along much better with our families than some of my friends who want to move out asap. :p) We're talking about getting a townhouse with some roommates but we made it clear it won't be too far from the folks. My dad's getting up there, I'd hate to see him mowing the lawn in the summer heat.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Ricardo - Well, I've looked into it a little bit more and found that with what I'm now making, I'll be able to do both. Of course, I will have to be rather frugal but to me right now, it doesn't matter. I'll be happy and that's what counts, right? :D

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Until I get my new car, I'm going to be getting a car alarm system put on mine. Yup...I'm going in well prepared this time. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks