My Onkyo 898 just died! I need help choosing a replacement

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Charles_H, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Charles_H

Charles_H Extra

Wouldn't ya know it, my receiver just died and my extended warranty expired in April. [​IMG] Since I had been pretty happy with the 898, I haven't been keeping up with receiver technology so I would like some suggestions on a new receiver.

Here are some ideas that might help you help me:
    I need to stay below $1200.

Used for movies 90% of the time.

Needs to sound REALLY good the other 10% of the time (for music).

It has to have a good remote or a price low enough to include the purchase of a better remote. I loved the remote with the 898.

Component video switching and be able to switch HDMI.

Front speakers:
    Polk RTi55's and CS400

Sub:
    PB12-Plus/2 SVS sub

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If the remote is programmable, just keep it. How about the Onkyo 901 or 801? They are in the process of revamping their lines, so I'd expect to see replacement models for these soon.

HDMI switching is going to severely limit your choices.

3. Charles_H

Charles_H Extra

See, I've learned something already.

Do you think HDMI switching is something that is going to be added to the new models this year or are we still a little ways off before it is more common?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think this year's models will probably try to have HDMI on them, though it may end up only on mid to upper models from Onkyo and most manufacturers. I'd say the 70x and up would be most likely to have it.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

How about the Sherwood-Newcastle R865? It should be right at the top of your budget but its a very sweet unit.

This is one of the models that now has Sherwoods 7 band parametric EQ built in.

"SHERWOOD ADDS PERFORMANCE FEATURES TO NEWCASTLE FLAGSHIP UNITS
    Improving the sound of your system is now a SNAP

CERRITOS, CA, August 15, 2005 – Sherwood America Inc., a leading manufacturer of high performance audio equipment, announced that a new breakthrough feature has been added to its Newcastle line. The feature, ¬¬¬Sherwood Newcastle Automatic Parametric EQ or "SNAP" for short, adds 7 bands of parametric EQ to each of the channels, including the subwoofer channel, for its Newcastle R-965 and R-865 receivers and its P-965 tuner/preamp/processor. Upgraded '65 series SNAP models will be available in mid-August. Current '65 series owners can upgrade existing units with a quick factory service program.

An extension of the Automatic Speaker Setup routine that was added to these models late in 2004 as part of Newcastle's Field Upgrade program, SNAP first measures the frequency response of each of the 7.1 channels using sophisticated 1/12 octave amplitude mapping. According to Jeffrey Hipps, Sherwood's Sr. VP for Marketing and Product Planning, "1/12 octave measurements allow us to concentrate the highest accuracy on the frequency bands that can most benefit from equalization." For example, there are 24 measurement points in the bass area between 20 and 80 Hz. SNAP then uses up to 7 bands of parametric EQ per channel with both adjustable center frequency and "Q" to improve in-room system response. "The results", according to Hipps, "are outstanding. My personal system, with its mix of di-pole and direct radiating speakers has never sounded better. Dialogue intelligibility is improved and surround effects, no matter where they are panned, sound realistic."

Sherwood believes the benefits of SNAP are so great that it is enacting a program whereby owners of these three Newcastle models, the R-865, R-965 and P-965, can add SNAP to their own units for a nominal charge of only $100.00. To participate in the SNAP upgrade program, '65 series owners need to call Sherwood's Technical Support at (800) 962-3203 x 115 to arrange an upgrade appointment. Once they have the appointment, the owner is responsible for shipment to Sherwood and the $100.00 charge. Sherwood will add SNAP to the unit and return it, prepaid. Turn around time at Sherwood is expected to be less than one week..

Since 1953, Sherwood has designed and manufactured high-performance, cost effective audio gear. Products bearing the Sherwood Newcastle brand are designed for specialty audio dealers and custom installers. "

6. Jim Piscitello

Jim Piscitello Auditioning

Sherwood-Newcastle will be releasing later this year a very affordable HDMI switcher. It will have one component input as well as two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. It will upconvert the component signal to HDMI.

Should be a fantastic product to augment anyone's system wishing to upconvert component and do some HDMI switching because it will probably be a model or so down the road from most manufacturers to include this in their receivers (mainstream that is).

Jim

7. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Onkyo/HK/Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer/JVC would be my choices!
    7300 is $999 these days with negotiation.
    But no prejustice here! All good units! Do a price grabber search and call an authorized dealer and deal! Enjoy!
    Well maybe 1199! Sorry!

8. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

PS/ You may want to consider separates if you have the space. The posts above are worth a check! That way you can add when your funds allow!

AVR 7300
    7 x 110W 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver

The video part of "audio/video receiver" has never meant so much. In addition to a powerful high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier and all the audio formats and features you expect from Harman Kardon, the AVR 7300 is equipped with DCDi by Faroudja®, image processing which upconverts all inputs to high-resolution component video. Along with built-in test signals and a wide range of video adjustments, the AVR 7300 gives you picture quality to match the unparalleled power and performance of Harman Kardon audio.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...207300&sType=C

9. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

There is a rumor going around that the Onkyo TX-NR803 and TX-NR903 will have hdmi.

see this discussion The US launch is scheduled for late October.