My Onkyo 500 receiver get's extremely hot, should I put a fan in there w/ it??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by kurt_fire, Jun 23, 2004.

1. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

^^^?

2. kurt_fire

kurt_fire Stunt Coordinator

^^^?

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Is there open space around the receiver including the underside? The receiver should be able to sit without overheating on its own feet on a hard flat surface with an inch on all sides and with the front and back of the equipment cabinet (if any) open. (Another component sitting on its own feet on top of the receiver or amp will not leave enough clearance.)

A fan won't hurt, and is a good idea if several electronic components are close together in an equipment cabinet.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Is there open space around the receiver including the underside? The receiver should be able to sit without overheating on its own feet on a hard flat surface with an inch on all sides and with the front and back of the equipment cabinet (if any) open. (Another component sitting on its own feet on top of the receiver or amp will not leave enough clearance.)

A fan won't hurt, and is a good idea if several electronic components are close together in an equipment cabinet.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. BryantF

BryantF Auditioning

I have a closed cabinet which contains a dvd player, a TiVo, a vcr, and a receiver. I've noticed it gets pretty hot inside, so I think I should probably get some sort of fan. But I don't know anybody who has an electronics cabinet with a fan, so I don't really know what I should be looking for. Where should I go to find something appropriate?

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kurt, you didn’t give us any details on your set-up (ie, is it in an enclosed cabinet), but as long as you have adequate clearance all around the receiver, you’re alright. Putting it in tight slots in a shelving unit is a no-no, especially for top –side clearance, which is where all the hot air escapes. Also, if you have any components on top of the receiver, that’s a big “no,” too. Nothing should be within about 6” of the top of the receiver.

Bryant, do a search on our DIY and Advanced Projects Forum and you’ll find all the information you need.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Scott Giles

Scott Giles Auditioning

Kurt/Bryant,

I've been happy with the JMC fans I bought for my cabinet application. I can't post the URL apparently, but search for JMC Panther fans to find out more. They are as quiet - as far as I can tell, as advertised, and move more air than I expected (I was able to use fewer fans).

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Don't suppose placing it on top of the cabinet is an option.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you mean directly on top of the receiver, no that’s not the best idea. It will result in uneven cooling of the internal components.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I usually don't keep a receiver long enough for a fan to really matter. I've also found that it's the nature of amps to get hot, that's just what they do. And most receivers have internal thermal protection circuits that will shut off at a certain temperature to prevent any damage. Personally, I wouldn't stress over it.

11. Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre Stunt Coordinator

12. Matt Hobbes

Matt Hobbes Agent

I have an onkyo HT-R500 and it does get quite warm/hot. I has about 4" of air space on top in a closed cabinet, though I do leave the glass door open for dvd viewing... I've used it continuously at loud volumes (75-80 volume...not dBs) for 4 hours plus...movie marathon...I use it for reg tv too... never once in 2 years has it overheated.

amps get hot! it's normal.