My one complaint about CSI

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Jul 12, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've been watching CSI much of last season, and am catching the ones I missed this summer. I really like it, in large part because it's one of the few shows about science/engineering.

But last night's episode made me aware of its most significant weakness (IMO): the portrayl of the other "evil" CSI team as being incompetent. This is the second time I've seen this scenario used: "Eckley" (sp?) on the day-shift dislikes Grissom's night-shift do-gooders. But fortunately for our heroes, Eckley is a blithering idiot and misses the most obvious of clues; whereas Grissom can subsequently solve the murder riddle in scant hours.

Last night's episode played this out when Nick Stokes was accused by Eckley of murdering his hooker girlfriend. Fortunately Catherine Willows takes time to actually look at the crime scene, sees the curtain ropes used to strangle the victim, and has them tested for DNA evidence. Hours later, our man is cleared, the murderer brought ot justice, and Eckley shown to be the putz he really is.

I also saw a similar theme where the FBI was brought in to assist in the capture of a serial killer. The FBI, of course, were also idiots.

Oh well. A great show otherwise. I just wish they'd drop the "everyone else is incompetent" storylines.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I kind of liked that approach. Of course this is the first episode that I have seen them use this theme. If they used it often then I woulod be disappointed.

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I agree it is kind of annoying that they have these teams. But atleast they don't bring this up on every episode. Overall, very good show. Can't wait to see how CSI: Miami turns out in September.

4. PaulBoud

PaulBoud Agent

My wife and I watch this show fairly regularly and I'm very conflicted by it. On the one hand the subject matter of the show is interesting but on the other hand I think it's very poorly acted, especially Grissom. Alot of this I think has to do with very poorly written dialogue. I usually cringe as Grissom says something overly dramatic and stupid just before The Who kicks in the opening theme. But like I said, I watch it anyway, so there's at least enough there to keep you watching. Anyone else feel this way? I think the Miami version has the potential to be better because David Caruso is a far superior actor.

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Paul your right, the stupid phrases that Grissom has to say right before the theme music kicks in gets pretty old.

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Well, I like the stupid phrases by Grissom just before the opening theme. [​IMG]

7. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I like William Peterson. The pre-theme phrases don't bother me at all.

8. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

The one thing I don't like is that you always know the crime will never end up as it initially seems. I wish they'd throw in some crimes where it ends up that nothing tricky happened just to keep me guessing [​IMG]. Would that just be too boring?

9. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Or I'd love to have an episode where they can't figure out what happens and they'd have to file it with the rest of the unsolved cases. It would be kind of unexpected if they spent a whole episode investigating and actually never figured out who did it.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I have no qualms with the writing or acting (but I'm not really picky about those things). And I like Grissom's detached demeanor, especially as it contrasts with the emotional involvement of the female characters.
    I wouldn't mind it if Grissom's team was just the best one at CSI (that's plausible). But Eckley's team isn't just not the best, they're wholly incompetent! That's a cheap plot device and bugs me the way time-travel or it's-all-a-dream devices annoy others.
    And I'm looking forward to CSI (Emily Proctor) Miami [​IMG]

11. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My one complaint is that the show is not available in the US like it is for the UK.

Jodee, They have had episodes where they were unsolved or the suspects still got off. One included a shooting in an elevator. It was a mob hit and Warick was not able to solve it. Another where these two woman switch off marrying a guy and kill them for the money. They couldn't prove they did it with more than circumstantial evidence. So they were let go.

12. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

There was another episode (actually 3 I think) where the murderer (same guy in all 3) taunted Grissom and got away each time.

13. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

14. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter