My oldest audio/video source turns 20!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Skeen, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The oldest component I have hooked up is an RCA SGT-250 stereo CED videodisc player, manufactured August 1982. I got it used from some guy about 8 years ago and it's been my primary player, the stylus has been replaced once (it shorted out instead of wearing out.)
    Say what you will about the format (I only collect it because I have a thing for dead technology), but this thing is built like a tank and looks like it should serve me another 20!

2. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

I have to wait another year (well, I think a year, but could be more like a year and a half) for the 20th anniversary of my oldest component, a Toshiba Hi-Fi beta player that I bought new and still works even though it won't fast forward and I have to use a separate beta video rewinder to rewind my tapes. And this thing is also built like a tank. It has never been serviced.

I have a niece with a CED player that someone gave her a few years ago that I've never watched. I'll be going for a visit next month and may just ask her to hook it up out of curiosity since I've never seen one in operation.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have a Sony PS-X600 turntable that I got brand new in 1981. (I was in high school then!) Still have all of the original stuff: box, manual, warranty card, the 45 rpm adapter, the special key to adjust the stylus drop down point, and even the transit screws for the platter motor. I'm dang proud of it! Got it overhauled by www.theturntablefactory.com last year. Still use it, and have it mated with a Shure V-15 type MR cartridge at the moment.

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

My Infinity subwoofer turns 10 in about 4 months. I'm afraid rampant upgrade-itis has claimed everything else! The second oldest item in my system is a laserdisc player I've had for about 5 years, but it's part of the bedroom system. The main system features an Elite player I just picked up three months ago. Yup, upgrade-itis even affects "dead" technologies in my system! [​IMG]
    -Lyle J.P.

5. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

I have Pioneer's very first combo (CD/LD) player, the CLD-900. Not a scratch anywhere, and plays just fine.

6. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Bought my Rega P2 in December, 1979. Still works great.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I still have a Technics tape deck (with dbx!) and a Technics linear tracking record player that I bought in 1984. But I don't use them all that much anymore, but they still work.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

My oldest stuff is my Technics SL-BD22 turntable from 1988 and my Sony CDP-C50 5 disc CD player from 1989.

9. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

10. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

My old trusty Kenwood KR-7600 receiver is 26 years old(as of June), in fact I still have the receipt. I use it in my shop to power 2 old Fisher speakers with 15" drivers. The old Kenwood with 80 wts/ RMS per channel kicks ass to this day. It originally powered BIC Venturi Formula 6's back in the day. [​IMG]

11. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Oh Oh,
    My analog system consists of:
    Pioneer PL-A35 Turntable (bought new in 1971)
    Marantz 2230 (bought used in 1972)
    Pioneer HPM-100 (bought used in 1978)

Guess I AM gettin' old!
    Tom

12. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Tom, your getting old? [​IMG] I still have a Radio Shack Realistic stereo Amp. that I bought in 1959 when stereo was pretty new & the Radio Shack only had around 4 stores & it still works [​IMG] The seperate tuner for it did cut out in the 70's though [​IMG] This amp even has seperate bass & trebble controls for each channel & it's all metal with a gold & white faceplate & brown knobs with metal inserts and "REAL" 100 watts per channel [​IMG]

13. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Bill,
    I'm impressed. All I had in '59 was a GE portable record player, and it was mono!
    Tom